Red Sox acquire submariner Shunsuke Watanabe; Chris Carpenter sent to Japan
|12.17.13 at 8:37 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Tuesday that they have signed 37-year-old right-handed pitcher Shunsuke Watanabe to a minor league contract.
The submarine-style hurler has spent his entire 13-year career with the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball League. He has compiled a record of 87-82 with a career ERA of 3.65, performing primarily as a starter.
Watanabe, who went 0-4 with a 4.62 ERA in six starts last season, was a two-time NPB All-Star (2004, ‘05), while also pitching for Japan in the World Baseball Classic in ‘06 and ‘09.
Watanabe will report to Red Sox minor league spring training and work as a reliever.
The Sox also sold pitcher Chris Carpenter — the righty who was acquired from the Cubs (along with pitcher Aaron Kurcz) in exchange for Theo Epstein — to the Yakult Swallows. The 27-year-old went 0-2 with a 4.96 ERA for Triple-A Pawtucket in ’13, a year removed from Tommy John surgery.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller