John Farrell on Hot Stove Show: Red Sox, Stephen Drew ‘would like to see [deal] come together’
|12.19.13 at 9:23 pm ET|
With Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks currently penciled in as the Red Sox‘ starters on the left side of the infield, the Red Sox had made the acquisition of a veteran infielder who could back up both of those positions (along with second base) an offseason priority. They accomplished that goal by trading for Jonathan Herrera on Wednesday, picking up the utility infielder from the Rockies in exchange for left-hander Franklin Morales and minor league right-hander Chris Martin.
“We felt like there was the need to — and [GM Ben Cherington] was very clear on this — about adding to the left inside of the infield, regardless of whether or not Stephen Drew signs with us,” Farrell said. “With Bogaerts and Middlebrooks on the left side of the infield, there was still the need for experience particularly at the shortstop position.
“Herrera, this is a guy that’s played all over the infield. We like him from the left side a little bit better — he’s had better performance as a left-handed hitter. He is a switch-hitter, but better from the left side. We feel like with all the other right-handed infielders, it’s a good complement to those who are already here. At the same time, if things fall a certain way with Stephen Drew, it doesn’t prohibit us from adding Drew as well.”
Indeed, Farrell suggested that mutual interest exists in having the shortstop return to the team with whom he signed a one-year, $9.5 million for the 2013 season.
“Both sides would like to see this come together,” Farrell said of talks with Drew. “But at the same time, as we all know, he’s looking to see what best opportunities would be out there for him.”
To listen to the entirety of Farrell’s interview on the Hot Stove Show, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Devers homers, Shawaryn stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching