John Farrell on Hot Stove Show: Red Sox, Stephen Drew ‘would like to see [deal] come together’
|12.19.13 at 9:23 pm ET|
With Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks currently penciled in as the Red Sox‘ starters on the left side of the infield, the Red Sox had made the acquisition of a veteran infielder who could back up both of those positions (along with second base) an offseason priority. They accomplished that goal by trading for Jonathan Herrera on Wednesday, picking up the utility infielder from the Rockies in exchange for left-hander Franklin Morales and minor league right-hander Chris Martin.
“We felt like there was the need to — and [GM Ben Cherington] was very clear on this — about adding to the left inside of the infield, regardless of whether or not Stephen Drew signs with us,” Farrell said. “With Bogaerts and Middlebrooks on the left side of the infield, there was still the need for experience particularly at the shortstop position.
“Herrera, this is a guy that’s played all over the infield. We like him from the left side a little bit better — he’s had better performance as a left-handed hitter. He is a switch-hitter, but better from the left side. We feel like with all the other right-handed infielders, it’s a good complement to those who are already here. At the same time, if things fall a certain way with Stephen Drew, it doesn’t prohibit us from adding Drew as well.”
Indeed, Farrell suggested that mutual interest exists in having the shortstop return to the team with whom he signed a one-year, $9.5 million for the 2013 season.
“Both sides would like to see this come together,” Farrell said of talks with Drew. “But at the same time, as we all know, he’s looking to see what best opportunities would be out there for him.”
To listen to the entirety of Farrell’s interview on the Hot Stove Show, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles