John Farrell on Hot Stove Show: Red Sox, Stephen Drew ‘would like to see [deal] come together’
|12.19.13 at 9:23 pm ET|
With Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks currently penciled in as the Red Sox‘ starters on the left side of the infield, the Red Sox had made the acquisition of a veteran infielder who could back up both of those positions (along with second base) an offseason priority. They accomplished that goal by trading for Jonathan Herrera on Wednesday, picking up the utility infielder from the Rockies in exchange for left-hander Franklin Morales and minor league right-hander Chris Martin.
“We felt like there was the need to — and [GM Ben Cherington] was very clear on this — about adding to the left inside of the infield, regardless of whether or not Stephen Drew signs with us,” Farrell said. “With Bogaerts and Middlebrooks on the left side of the infield, there was still the need for experience particularly at the shortstop position.
“Herrera, this is a guy that’s played all over the infield. We like him from the left side a little bit better — he’s had better performance as a left-handed hitter. He is a switch-hitter, but better from the left side. We feel like with all the other right-handed infielders, it’s a good complement to those who are already here. At the same time, if things fall a certain way with Stephen Drew, it doesn’t prohibit us from adding Drew as well.”
Indeed, Farrell suggested that mutual interest exists in having the shortstop return to the team with whom he signed a one-year, $9.5 million for the 2013 season.
“Both sides would like to see this come together,” Farrell said of talks with Drew. “But at the same time, as we all know, he’s looking to see what best opportunities would be out there for him.”
To listen to the entirety of Farrell’s interview on the Hot Stove Show, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017