John Farrell on Hot Stove Show: Red Sox, Stephen Drew ‘would like to see [deal] come together’
|12.19.13 at 9:23 pm ET|
With Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks currently penciled in as the Red Sox‘ starters on the left side of the infield, the Red Sox had made the acquisition of a veteran infielder who could back up both of those positions (along with second base) an offseason priority. They accomplished that goal by trading for Jonathan Herrera on Wednesday, picking up the utility infielder from the Rockies in exchange for left-hander Franklin Morales and minor league right-hander Chris Martin.
“We felt like there was the need to — and [GM Ben Cherington] was very clear on this — about adding to the left inside of the infield, regardless of whether or not Stephen Drew signs with us,” Farrell said. “With Bogaerts and Middlebrooks on the left side of the infield, there was still the need for experience particularly at the shortstop position.
“Herrera, this is a guy that’s played all over the infield. We like him from the left side a little bit better — he’s had better performance as a left-handed hitter. He is a switch-hitter, but better from the left side. We feel like with all the other right-handed infielders, it’s a good complement to those who are already here. At the same time, if things fall a certain way with Stephen Drew, it doesn’t prohibit us from adding Drew as well.”
Indeed, Farrell suggested that mutual interest exists in having the shortstop return to the team with whom he signed a one-year, $9.5 million for the 2013 season.
“Both sides would like to see this come together,” Farrell said of talks with Drew. “But at the same time, as we all know, he’s looking to see what best opportunities would be out there for him.”
To listen to the entirety of Farrell’s interview on the Hot Stove Show, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.