John Farrell on Hot Stove Show: Red Sox, Stephen Drew ‘would like to see [deal] come together’
|12.19.13 at 9:23 pm ET|
With Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks currently penciled in as the Red Sox‘ starters on the left side of the infield, the Red Sox had made the acquisition of a veteran infielder who could back up both of those positions (along with second base) an offseason priority. They accomplished that goal by trading for Jonathan Herrera on Wednesday, picking up the utility infielder from the Rockies in exchange for left-hander Franklin Morales and minor league right-hander Chris Martin.
“We felt like there was the need to — and [GM Ben Cherington] was very clear on this — about adding to the left inside of the infield, regardless of whether or not Stephen Drew signs with us,” Farrell said. “With Bogaerts and Middlebrooks on the left side of the infield, there was still the need for experience particularly at the shortstop position.
“Herrera, this is a guy that’s played all over the infield. We like him from the left side a little bit better — he’s had better performance as a left-handed hitter. He is a switch-hitter, but better from the left side. We feel like with all the other right-handed infielders, it’s a good complement to those who are already here. At the same time, if things fall a certain way with Stephen Drew, it doesn’t prohibit us from adding Drew as well.”
Indeed, Farrell suggested that mutual interest exists in having the shortstop return to the team with whom he signed a one-year, $9.5 million for the 2013 season.
“Both sides would like to see this come together,” Farrell said of talks with Drew. “But at the same time, as we all know, he’s looking to see what best opportunities would be out there for him.”
To listen to the entirety of Farrell’s interview on the Hot Stove Show, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016