Jim Callis on Minor Details: Jackie Bradley Jr. ‘can be a better player than Jacoby Ellsbury’
|12.20.13 at 3:31 pm ET|
Jim Callis of MLB.com, who joined the Minor Details podcast to discuss the Baseball America Top 10 Red Sox prospects list assembled by WEEI.com’s Alex Speier, heaped praise on outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., who appears likely to take over as the Sox’ everyday center fielder in 2014 after Jacoby Ellsbury departed on a seven-year, $153 million deal with the Yankees. Callis suggested that Bradley’s tool set could make him a more impactful big leaguer than Ellsbury was for the Sox (outside of the former Sox center fielder’s 30/30 season in 2011).
“I think Jackie’s ceiling is pretty high,” said Callis. “I think he’s a potential Gold Glove center fielder. I think he’s going to be a high on-base guy. And I think he’s going to be a 10-15 home run guy. I actually think, he’s not as fast as Jacoby Ellsbury, but I don’t think there’s really any question, I think he’s a better defender than Jacoby Ellsbury — and Jacoby’s pretty good. He’s not going to steal as many bases as Jacoby but in the long run I think he can have a higher on-base percentage than Jacoby. And with the exception of that one 32-home run year, he might have a little more pop than Jacoby. I know this sounds crazy, and it’s not a lock, but I think he can be a better player than Jacoby Ellsbury in the long run.”
Callis also discussed several other Sox prospects who made Speier’s top 30, including Henry Owens, Allen Webster, Garin Cecchini, Blake Swihart, Mookie Betts, Matt Barnes, Anthony Ranaudo, Trey Ball, Manuel Margot and others. To listen to the complete interview, click here. For more WEEI.com coverage of the top 10 list, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview
- Cup of Coffee: Owens solid again, Portland stages comeback
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Heller, bullpens highlight day for system
- Cup of Coffee: Aybar, Espinoza lead the GCL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Another two-homer game for Bradley as PawSox fall