Jim Callis on Minor Details: Jackie Bradley Jr. ‘can be a better player than Jacoby Ellsbury’
|12.20.13 at 3:31 pm ET|
Jim Callis of MLB.com, who joined the Minor Details podcast to discuss the Baseball America Top 10 Red Sox prospects list assembled by WEEI.com’s Alex Speier, heaped praise on outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., who appears likely to take over as the Sox’ everyday center fielder in 2014 after Jacoby Ellsbury departed on a seven-year, $153 million deal with the Yankees. Callis suggested that Bradley’s tool set could make him a more impactful big leaguer than Ellsbury was for the Sox (outside of the former Sox center fielder’s 30/30 season in 2011).
“I think Jackie’s ceiling is pretty high,” said Callis. “I think he’s a potential Gold Glove center fielder. I think he’s going to be a high on-base guy. And I think he’s going to be a 10-15 home run guy. I actually think, he’s not as fast as Jacoby Ellsbury, but I don’t think there’s really any question, I think he’s a better defender than Jacoby Ellsbury — and Jacoby’s pretty good. He’s not going to steal as many bases as Jacoby but in the long run I think he can have a higher on-base percentage than Jacoby. And with the exception of that one 32-home run year, he might have a little more pop than Jacoby. I know this sounds crazy, and it’s not a lock, but I think he can be a better player than Jacoby Ellsbury in the long run.”
Callis also discussed several other Sox prospects who made Speier’s top 30, including Henry Owens, Allen Webster, Garin Cecchini, Blake Swihart, Mookie Betts, Matt Barnes, Anthony Ranaudo, Trey Ball, Manuel Margot and others. To listen to the complete interview, click here. For more WEEI.com coverage of the top 10 list, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo