Jim Callis on Minor Details: Jackie Bradley Jr. ‘can be a better player than Jacoby Ellsbury’
|12.20.13 at 3:31 pm ET|
Jim Callis of MLB.com, who joined the Minor Details podcast to discuss the Baseball America Top 10 Red Sox prospects list assembled by WEEI.com’s Alex Speier, heaped praise on outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., who appears likely to take over as the Sox’ everyday center fielder in 2014 after Jacoby Ellsbury departed on a seven-year, $153 million deal with the Yankees. Callis suggested that Bradley’s tool set could make him a more impactful big leaguer than Ellsbury was for the Sox (outside of the former Sox center fielder’s 30/30 season in 2011).
“I think Jackie’s ceiling is pretty high,” said Callis. “I think he’s a potential Gold Glove center fielder. I think he’s going to be a high on-base guy. And I think he’s going to be a 10-15 home run guy. I actually think, he’s not as fast as Jacoby Ellsbury, but I don’t think there’s really any question, I think he’s a better defender than Jacoby Ellsbury — and Jacoby’s pretty good. He’s not going to steal as many bases as Jacoby but in the long run I think he can have a higher on-base percentage than Jacoby. And with the exception of that one 32-home run year, he might have a little more pop than Jacoby. I know this sounds crazy, and it’s not a lock, but I think he can be a better player than Jacoby Ellsbury in the long run.”
Callis also discussed several other Sox prospects who made Speier’s top 30, including Henry Owens, Allen Webster, Garin Cecchini, Blake Swihart, Mookie Betts, Matt Barnes, Anthony Ranaudo, Trey Ball, Manuel Margot and others. To listen to the complete interview, click here. For more WEEI.com coverage of the top 10 list, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando