Kevin Youkilis agrees to play for Rakuten Golden Eagles
|12.20.13 at 2:11 pm ET|
According to industry sources, free agent Kevin Youkilis has reached an agreement to play for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan in 2014. The one-year deal calls for him to earn a $4 million base salary with another $1 million in what one source called “very earnable” incentives.
The 34-year-old spent the 2013 season playing for the Yankees, but injuries limited him to just 28 games in which he hit .219 with a.305 OBP and .343 slugging mark along with two homers. In his career — the first eight-plus seasons which came with the Red Sox — Youkilis owns a .281 average, .382 OBP and .478 slugging mark. The three-time All-Star finished in the top six in American League MVP voting twice.
News of the deal was first reported on Nikkan Sports.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen