Kevin Youkilis agrees to play for Rakuten Golden Eagles
|12.20.13 at 2:11 pm ET|
According to industry sources, free agent Kevin Youkilis has reached an agreement to play for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan in 2014. The one-year deal calls for him to earn a $4 million base salary with another $1 million in what one source called “very earnable” incentives.
The 34-year-old spent the 2013 season playing for the Yankees, but injuries limited him to just 28 games in which he hit .219 with a.305 OBP and .343 slugging mark along with two homers. In his career — the first eight-plus seasons which came with the Red Sox — Youkilis owns a .281 average, .382 OBP and .478 slugging mark. The three-time All-Star finished in the top six in American League MVP voting twice.
News of the deal was first reported on Nikkan Sports.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem