Kevin Youkilis agrees to play for Rakuten Golden Eagles
|12.20.13 at 2:11 pm ET|
According to industry sources, free agent Kevin Youkilis has reached an agreement to play for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan in 2014. The one-year deal calls for him to earn a $4 million base salary with another $1 million in what one source called “very earnable” incentives.
The 34-year-old spent the 2013 season playing for the Yankees, but injuries limited him to just 28 games in which he hit .219 with a.305 OBP and .343 slugging mark along with two homers. In his career — the first eight-plus seasons which came with the Red Sox — Youkilis owns a .281 average, .382 OBP and .478 slugging mark. The three-time All-Star finished in the top six in American League MVP voting twice.
News of the deal was first reported on Nikkan Sports.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell
- Red Sox sign five more draftees, including first-round pick Benintendi
- 2015 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free! (close to goal)
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule