Kevin Youkilis agrees to play for Rakuten Golden Eagles
|12.20.13 at 2:11 pm ET|
According to industry sources, free agent Kevin Youkilis has reached an agreement to play for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan in 2014. The one-year deal calls for him to earn a $4 million base salary with another $1 million in what one source called “very earnable” incentives.
The 34-year-old spent the 2013 season playing for the Yankees, but injuries limited him to just 28 games in which he hit .219 with a.305 OBP and .343 slugging mark along with two homers. In his career — the first eight-plus seasons which came with the Red Sox — Youkilis owns a .281 average, .382 OBP and .478 slugging mark. The three-time All-Star finished in the top six in American League MVP voting twice.
News of the deal was first reported on Nikkan Sports.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo