Posting begins Thursday for Japanese star Masahiro Tanaka
|12.26.13 at 9:03 am ET|
Major league teams interested in Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka can begin the bidding on the posting process Thursday morning, following Wednesday’s announcement that his Japanese team agreed to let him test the MLB market.
Teams can bid up to $20 million in an attempt to obtain negotiating rights with the pitcher, with the process concluding Jan. 24. If Tanaka does not sign with an MLB team by that day, he would return to the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Nippon Professional Baseball.
Tanaka, 25, went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA and 183 strikeouts vs. 32 walks in 212 innings this past season, helping his team win its first league championship. He made $4 million, and Rakuten reportedly was willing to give him a huge raise and make him the highest-paid pitcher in league history to keep him. The team was said to be upset about the change in the posting process that caps the fee at $20 million. However, the Golden Eagles apparently had a change of heart, and held a press conference Wednesday to announce the decision.
“I’m grateful to the team for allowing me to try. Now I’ve made a first step,” Tanaka said. “I hope I would receive offers from as many teams as possible so I have a wider option.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins