Posting begins Thursday for Japanese star Masahiro Tanaka
|12.26.13 at 9:03 am ET|
Major league teams interested in Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka can begin the bidding on the posting process Thursday morning, following Wednesday’s announcement that his Japanese team agreed to let him test the MLB market.
Teams can bid up to $20 million in an attempt to obtain negotiating rights with the pitcher, with the process concluding Jan. 24. If Tanaka does not sign with an MLB team by that day, he would return to the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Nippon Professional Baseball.
Tanaka, 25, went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA and 183 strikeouts vs. 32 walks in 212 innings this past season, helping his team win its first league championship. He made $4 million, and Rakuten reportedly was willing to give him a huge raise and make him the highest-paid pitcher in league history to keep him. The team was said to be upset about the change in the posting process that caps the fee at $20 million. However, the Golden Eagles apparently had a change of heart, and held a press conference Wednesday to announce the decision.
“I’m grateful to the team for allowing me to try. Now I’ve made a first step,” Tanaka said. “I hope I would receive offers from as many teams as possible so I have a wider option.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine