Posting begins Thursday for Japanese star Masahiro Tanaka
|12.26.13 at 9:03 am ET|
Major league teams interested in Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka can begin the bidding on the posting process Thursday morning, following Wednesday’s announcement that his Japanese team agreed to let him test the MLB market.
Teams can bid up to $20 million in an attempt to obtain negotiating rights with the pitcher, with the process concluding Jan. 24. If Tanaka does not sign with an MLB team by that day, he would return to the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Nippon Professional Baseball.
Tanaka, 25, went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA and 183 strikeouts vs. 32 walks in 212 innings this past season, helping his team win its first league championship. He made $4 million, and Rakuten reportedly was willing to give him a huge raise and make him the highest-paid pitcher in league history to keep him. The team was said to be upset about the change in the posting process that caps the fee at $20 million. However, the Golden Eagles apparently had a change of heart, and held a press conference Wednesday to announce the decision.
“I’m grateful to the team for allowing me to try. Now I’ve made a first step,” Tanaka said. “I hope I would receive offers from as many teams as possible so I have a wider option.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers