Orioles sign former Red Sox speedster Quintin Berry
|01.03.14 at 5:25 pm ET|
The Orioles announced the signing of outfielder Quintin Berry to a minor league deal with an invitation to major league spring training. Berry, 29, was acquired by the Red Sox for the final month of the regular season as well as the postseason, with the Sox landing him in a trade with the Royals (in exchange for right-hander Clayton Mortensen) to serve as a pinch-running weapon in October. Berry played 13 regular season games for the Sox, collecting five hits (including a homer against the Orioles in Baltimore) and a walk in nine plate appearances while going 3-for-3 in stolen base attempts. He also went 3-for-3 in stolen base attempts during the playoffs, appearing in one game (and swiping one bag) in each round of the postseason. Berry is 29-for-29 in career stolen base attempts (with 24 successful regular season attempts and five playoff attempts), giving him the most successful stolen base attempts without getting caught to start a career in big league history. In his two big league seasons, he’s hit .268 with a .339 OBP and .371 slugging mark in 107 big league games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins