Orioles sign former Red Sox speedster Quintin Berry
|01.03.14 at 5:25 pm ET|
The Orioles announced the signing of outfielder Quintin Berry to a minor league deal with an invitation to major league spring training. Berry, 29, was acquired by the Red Sox for the final month of the regular season as well as the postseason, with the Sox landing him in a trade with the Royals (in exchange for right-hander Clayton Mortensen) to serve as a pinch-running weapon in October. Berry played 13 regular season games for the Sox, collecting five hits (including a homer against the Orioles in Baltimore) and a walk in nine plate appearances while going 3-for-3 in stolen base attempts. He also went 3-for-3 in stolen base attempts during the playoffs, appearing in one game (and swiping one bag) in each round of the postseason. Berry is 29-for-29 in career stolen base attempts (with 24 successful regular season attempts and five playoff attempts), giving him the most successful stolen base attempts without getting caught to start a career in big league history. In his two big league seasons, he’s hit .268 with a .339 OBP and .371 slugging mark in 107 big league games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday