Orioles sign former Red Sox speedster Quintin Berry
|01.03.14 at 5:25 pm ET|
The Orioles announced the signing of outfielder Quintin Berry to a minor league deal with an invitation to major league spring training. Berry, 29, was acquired by the Red Sox for the final month of the regular season as well as the postseason, with the Sox landing him in a trade with the Royals (in exchange for right-hander Clayton Mortensen) to serve as a pinch-running weapon in October. Berry played 13 regular season games for the Sox, collecting five hits (including a homer against the Orioles in Baltimore) and a walk in nine plate appearances while going 3-for-3 in stolen base attempts. He also went 3-for-3 in stolen base attempts during the playoffs, appearing in one game (and swiping one bag) in each round of the postseason. Berry is 29-for-29 in career stolen base attempts (with 24 successful regular season attempts and five playoff attempts), giving him the most successful stolen base attempts without getting caught to start a career in big league history. In his two big league seasons, he’s hit .268 with a .339 OBP and .371 slugging mark in 107 big league games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot