Report: Red Sox still more likely landing spot for Stephen Drew than Mets
|01.05.14 at 2:34 pm ET|
According to an ESPNNewYork.com report, Mets officials are split on the merits of signing free agent shortstop Stephen Drew. One source states in the report that Drew is more of a “possibility” for New York rather than a “probability.” (To read article, click here.)
The article goes on to suggest the Mets are wary of agent Scott Boras using New York’s interest to maximize the offer from the Red Sox. It is believed the Mets would be interested in talking to Drew about a one- or two-year deal at a manageable dollar figure, but would be hesitant to go three years or beyond.
Because the Mets’ first-round draft pick is protected, and they have already surrendered their second-round pick after signing free agent outfielder Curtis Granderson, New York would only need to give up a third-round pick in order to ink Drew.
The Red Sox‘ approach toward Drew throughout the offseason was to wait for the shortstop to find a market before actively pursuing a deal for the 30-year-old.
Appearing on The Hot Stove Show, Mets special assistant J.P. Ricciardi said his team would be comfortable going to spring training with Ruben Tejada as its starting shortstop. (To read Ricciardi’s comments, click here.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game