Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas selected to Baseball Hall of Fame
|01.08.14 at 2:06 pm ET|
Maddux and Glavine became the first players to reach the Hall in their first year of eligibility since Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn accomplished the feat in 2007. Previously, the only two pitchers to earn entrance in their first year of eligibility were Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson. The last starting pitcher to enter the Hall of Fame was Bert Blyleven (2011).
Maddux finished his career with 355 wins, while Glavine totaled 305 victories. Maddux finished with 97.2 percent of the vote (16 voters not voting for righty), while Glavine totaled 91.9.
Thomas hit 521 home runs while carrying a .301 batting average over 19 seasons. He received 83.7 percent of the vote in his first year of eligbility.
Craig Biggio barely missed out on induction, finishing with 74.8 percent of the vote, just .2 of what was necessary for induction (two votes shy). The second baseman was the leading vote-getter last year.
Not making the cut in his final year of eligibility was pitcher Jack Morris, who won 254 games. The starting pitcher received 61.5 percent of the vote, while former Red Sox Curt Schilling hurler received 29 percent.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers