Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas selected to Baseball Hall of Fame
|01.08.14 at 2:06 pm ET|
Maddux and Glavine became the first players to reach the Hall in their first year of eligibility since Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn accomplished the feat in 2007. Previously, the only two pitchers to earn entrance in their first year of eligibility were Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson. The last starting pitcher to enter the Hall of Fame was Bert Blyleven (2011).
Maddux finished his career with 355 wins, while Glavine totaled 305 victories. Maddux finished with 97.2 percent of the vote (16 voters not voting for righty), while Glavine totaled 91.9.
Thomas hit 521 home runs while carrying a .301 batting average over 19 seasons. He received 83.7 percent of the vote in his first year of eligbility.
Craig Biggio barely missed out on induction, finishing with 74.8 percent of the vote, just .2 of what was necessary for induction (two votes shy). The second baseman was the leading vote-getter last year.
Not making the cut in his final year of eligibility was pitcher Jack Morris, who won 254 games. The starting pitcher received 61.5 percent of the vote, while former Red Sox Curt Schilling hurler received 29 percent.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins