Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas selected to Baseball Hall of Fame
|01.08.14 at 2:06 pm ET|
Maddux and Glavine became the first players to reach the Hall in their first year of eligibility since Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn accomplished the feat in 2007. Previously, the only two pitchers to earn entrance in their first year of eligibility were Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson. The last starting pitcher to enter the Hall of Fame was Bert Blyleven (2011).
Maddux finished his career with 355 wins, while Glavine totaled 305 victories. Maddux finished with 97.2 percent of the vote (16 voters not voting for righty), while Glavine totaled 91.9.
Thomas hit 521 home runs while carrying a .301 batting average over 19 seasons. He received 83.7 percent of the vote in his first year of eligbility.
Craig Biggio barely missed out on induction, finishing with 74.8 percent of the vote, just .2 of what was necessary for induction (two votes shy). The second baseman was the leading vote-getter last year.
Not making the cut in his final year of eligibility was pitcher Jack Morris, who won 254 games. The starting pitcher received 61.5 percent of the vote, while former Red Sox Curt Schilling hurler received 29 percent.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven