Report: Boston one of three cities favored by Masahiro Tanaka
|01.10.14 at 8:46 pm ET|
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle (via twitter), Boston is one of three locations favored by Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, who also looks favorably upon the idea of pitching in either New York or Los Angeles.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) January 10, 2014
It remains to be seen how aggressively the Red Sox might pursue Tanaka. The team already has what could be considered a surplus of starters, with Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, Jake Peavy, Felix Doubront and Ryan Dempster all under contract for next year, and depth options that include Brandon Workman, Allen Webster, Anthony Ranaudo and Rubby De La Rosa.
In an appearance on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Thursday, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington suggested that it remained “to be determined” whether the Sox would be among the teams to meet with Tanaka while he is in the States. Cherington did say that he’s been in touch with Tanaka’s agent, Casey Close, about the pitcher, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot