Report: Boston one of three cities favored by Masahiro Tanaka
|01.10.14 at 8:46 pm ET|
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle (via twitter), Boston is one of three locations favored by Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, who also looks favorably upon the idea of pitching in either New York or Los Angeles.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) January 10, 2014
It remains to be seen how aggressively the Red Sox might pursue Tanaka. The team already has what could be considered a surplus of starters, with Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, Jake Peavy, Felix Doubront and Ryan Dempster all under contract for next year, and depth options that include Brandon Workman, Allen Webster, Anthony Ranaudo and Rubby De La Rosa.
In an appearance on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Thursday, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington suggested that it remained “to be determined” whether the Sox would be among the teams to meet with Tanaka while he is in the States. Cherington did say that he’s been in touch with Tanaka’s agent, Casey Close, about the pitcher, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division