Report: Boston one of three cities favored by Masahiro Tanaka
|01.10.14 at 8:46 pm ET|
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle (via twitter), Boston is one of three locations favored by Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, who also looks favorably upon the idea of pitching in either New York or Los Angeles.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) January 10, 2014
It remains to be seen how aggressively the Red Sox might pursue Tanaka. The team already has what could be considered a surplus of starters, with Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, Jake Peavy, Felix Doubront and Ryan Dempster all under contract for next year, and depth options that include Brandon Workman, Allen Webster, Anthony Ranaudo and Rubby De La Rosa.
In an appearance on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Thursday, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington suggested that it remained “to be determined” whether the Sox would be among the teams to meet with Tanaka while he is in the States. Cherington did say that he’s been in touch with Tanaka’s agent, Casey Close, about the pitcher, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort