Alex Rodriguez representative says he wasn’t referring to David Ortiz in reference to PED accusations in Boston
|01.15.14 at 11:59 am ET|
A lawyer for Alex Rodriguez denied he was referring to David Ortiz when he said in a radio interview Tuesday that he was aware of other major leaguers who have been accused of using performance-enhancing drugs and “some of them are God-like in Boston right now.”
Attorney Joe Tacopina later e-mailed The Boston Globe to say he was not pointing a finger at Ortiz, although he would not indicated which players he was referencing.
According to a New York Times report in 2009, Ortiz tested positive for an unnamed substance during a 2003 survey test. After the report, Ortiz held a press conference in which he vehemently denied using PEDs.
Ortiz and Rodriguez have long been friends. Most recently, Rodriguez attended Ortiz’s charity golf tournament and auction in the Dominican Republic last month.
Rodriguez was suspended last summer for 211 games by Major League Baseball for violating the league’s drug policy. An arbitrator reduced the suspension to the 2014 regular season and playoffs, but Rodriguez filed a suit Monday against MLB and the MLB Players Association in an attempt to overturn the ban.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort