Alex Rodriguez representative says he wasn’t referring to David Ortiz in reference to PED accusations in Boston
|01.15.14 at 11:59 am ET|
A lawyer for Alex Rodriguez denied he was referring to David Ortiz when he said in a radio interview Tuesday that he was aware of other major leaguers who have been accused of using performance-enhancing drugs and “some of them are God-like in Boston right now.”
Attorney Joe Tacopina later e-mailed The Boston Globe to say he was not pointing a finger at Ortiz, although he would not indicated which players he was referencing.
According to a New York Times report in 2009, Ortiz tested positive for an unnamed substance during a 2003 survey test. After the report, Ortiz held a press conference in which he vehemently denied using PEDs.
Ortiz and Rodriguez have long been friends. Most recently, Rodriguez attended Ortiz’s charity golf tournament and auction in the Dominican Republic last month.
Rodriguez was suspended last summer for 211 games by Major League Baseball for violating the league’s drug policy. An arbitrator reduced the suspension to the 2014 regular season and playoffs, but Rodriguez filed a suit Monday against MLB and the MLB Players Association in an attempt to overturn the ban.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs