Henry Owens, Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart headline Red Sox non-roster invitations to big league camp
|01.17.14 at 2:31 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that eight prospects — seven of whom are currently taking part in the team’s Rookie Development Program in Boston — have received non-roster invitations to take part in big league spring training. The group:
Owens (No. 2), Swihart (No. 5) and Barnes (No. 9) all ranked among Baseball America’s top 10 Red Sox prospects; all are taking part in their first big league camp, as is right-hander Noe Ramirez, who flourished in his conversion to a reliever in 2013, and first baseman Travis Shaw. All five of those invitees were members of the draft class of 2011. Marrero, a shortstop whom the Sox took in the first round of the 2012 draft, will be taking part in his second big league camp. Hinojosa, a right-handed pitcher who defected from Cuba and signed with the Sox in late-2013, will be in his first spring training. Meneses, a versatile utility player who spent some time this winter at both catcher and in the outfield to round out his ability to play short, second and third, is a 22-year-old who will be in his first big league camp. In 110 games between Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket last year, Meneses hit .253 with a .312 OBP and .343 slugging mark.
The wealth of homegrown big league spring training invitees — particularly pitchers — represents a marked contrast from just two years ago, when the Sox had just one homegrown pitcher (right-hander Alex Wilson) in camp as a non-roster invitee.
For more on the seven Red Sox non-roster invitees taking part in the Rookie Development Program (as well as the three participants in the program who will be in spring training as members of the 40-man roster — Garin Cecchini, Anthony Ranaudo and Christian Vazquez) — click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela