Henry Owens, Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart headline Red Sox non-roster invitations to big league camp
|01.17.14 at 2:31 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that eight prospects — seven of whom are currently taking part in the team’s Rookie Development Program in Boston — have received non-roster invitations to take part in big league spring training. The group:
Owens (No. 2), Swihart (No. 5) and Barnes (No. 9) all ranked among Baseball America’s top 10 Red Sox prospects; all are taking part in their first big league camp, as is right-hander Noe Ramirez, who flourished in his conversion to a reliever in 2013, and first baseman Travis Shaw. All five of those invitees were members of the draft class of 2011. Marrero, a shortstop whom the Sox took in the first round of the 2012 draft, will be taking part in his second big league camp. Hinojosa, a right-handed pitcher who defected from Cuba and signed with the Sox in late-2013, will be in his first spring training. Meneses, a versatile utility player who spent some time this winter at both catcher and in the outfield to round out his ability to play short, second and third, is a 22-year-old who will be in his first big league camp. In 110 games between Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket last year, Meneses hit .253 with a .312 OBP and .343 slugging mark.
The wealth of homegrown big league spring training invitees — particularly pitchers — represents a marked contrast from just two years ago, when the Sox had just one homegrown pitcher (right-hander Alex Wilson) in camp as a non-roster invitee.
For more on the seven Red Sox non-roster invitees taking part in the Rookie Development Program (as well as the three participants in the program who will be in spring training as members of the 40-man roster — Garin Cecchini, Anthony Ranaudo and Christian Vazquez) — click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston