Red Sox agree to deals with Junichi Tazawa, Mike Carp and Jonathan Herrera to avoid arbitration
|01.17.14 at 7:58 pm ET|
According to an industry source, the Red Sox reached agreements with three of their four arbitration-eligible players on Friday, inking non-guaranteed one-year deals with first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp ($1.4 million), utility infielder Jonathan Herrera ($1.3 million) and reliever Junichi Tazawa ($1.275 million). The team could not come to terms with reliever Andrew Miller, with the club filing an offer of $1.55 million and Miller filing a request for a $2.15 million salary. While the two sides are separated by a considerable $600,000 gap, however, the team has not gone to an arbitration hearing with any player since 2001, so history suggests there remains time for the two sides to find common ground.
The team’s updated payroll (using estimates for Miller and the likely roster members who will not yet be arbitration-eligible — including Felix Doubront, Daniel Nava, Jackie Bradley Jr., Xander Bogaerts and Brandon Workman) suggests the team — assuming $9 million as a desired contingency nugget to permit the flexibility for in-season trades and depth call-ups in case of injuries — has committed approximately $187 million, approaching the $189 million luxury tax threshold for 2014.
Here is an updated look at the team’s payroll:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016