Red Sox agree to deals with Junichi Tazawa, Mike Carp and Jonathan Herrera to avoid arbitration
|01.17.14 at 7:58 pm ET|
According to an industry source, the Red Sox reached agreements with three of their four arbitration-eligible players on Friday, inking non-guaranteed one-year deals with first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp ($1.4 million), utility infielder Jonathan Herrera ($1.3 million) and reliever Junichi Tazawa ($1.275 million). The team could not come to terms with reliever Andrew Miller, with the club filing an offer of $1.55 million and Miller filing a request for a $2.15 million salary. While the two sides are separated by a considerable $600,000 gap, however, the team has not gone to an arbitration hearing with any player since 2001, so history suggests there remains time for the two sides to find common ground.
The team’s updated payroll (using estimates for Miller and the likely roster members who will not yet be arbitration-eligible — including Felix Doubront, Daniel Nava, Jackie Bradley Jr., Xander Bogaerts and Brandon Workman) suggests the team — assuming $9 million as a desired contingency nugget to permit the flexibility for in-season trades and depth call-ups in case of injuries — has committed approximately $187 million, approaching the $189 million luxury tax threshold for 2014.
Here is an updated look at the team’s payroll:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller