Red Sox agree to deals with Junichi Tazawa, Mike Carp and Jonathan Herrera to avoid arbitration
|01.17.14 at 7:58 pm ET|
According to an industry source, the Red Sox reached agreements with three of their four arbitration-eligible players on Friday, inking non-guaranteed one-year deals with first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp ($1.4 million), utility infielder Jonathan Herrera ($1.3 million) and reliever Junichi Tazawa ($1.275 million). The team could not come to terms with reliever Andrew Miller, with the club filing an offer of $1.55 million and Miller filing a request for a $2.15 million salary. While the two sides are separated by a considerable $600,000 gap, however, the team has not gone to an arbitration hearing with any player since 2001, so history suggests there remains time for the two sides to find common ground.
The team’s updated payroll (using estimates for Miller and the likely roster members who will not yet be arbitration-eligible — including Felix Doubront, Daniel Nava, Jackie Bradley Jr., Xander Bogaerts and Brandon Workman) suggests the team — assuming $9 million as a desired contingency nugget to permit the flexibility for in-season trades and depth call-ups in case of injuries — has committed approximately $187 million, approaching the $189 million luxury tax threshold for 2014.
Here is an updated look at the team’s payroll:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando