Reports: Masahiro Tanaka agrees to deal with Yankees
|01.22.14 at 9:52 am ET|
According to multiple reports, Masahiro Tanaka has agreed to a seven-year, $155 million contract with the Yankees. ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted that there is an opt-out after the fourth year of the deal.
Major league teams faced a Friday deadline to finalize an agreement or else Tanaka would have returned to his Japanese team. The Cubs and Dodgers were also believed to be making a strong push for him, with the Mariners, Diamondbacks, White Sox and Astros showing interest.
A 25-year-old right-hander, Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Gold Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins