Reports: Masahiro Tanaka agrees to deal with Yankees
|01.22.14 at 9:52 am ET|
According to multiple reports, Masahiro Tanaka has agreed to a seven-year, $155 million contract with the Yankees. ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted that there is an opt-out after the fourth year of the deal.
Major league teams faced a Friday deadline to finalize an agreement or else Tanaka would have returned to his Japanese team. The Cubs and Dodgers were also believed to be making a strong push for him, with the Mariners, Diamondbacks, White Sox and Astros showing interest.
A 25-year-old right-hander, Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Gold Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.