Reports: Masahiro Tanaka agrees to deal with Yankees
|01.22.14 at 9:52 am ET|
According to multiple reports, Masahiro Tanaka has agreed to a seven-year, $155 million contract with the Yankees. ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted that there is an opt-out after the fourth year of the deal.
Major league teams faced a Friday deadline to finalize an agreement or else Tanaka would have returned to his Japanese team. The Cubs and Dodgers were also believed to be making a strong push for him, with the Mariners, Diamondbacks, White Sox and Astros showing interest.
A 25-year-old right-hander, Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Gold Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens