Reports: Masahiro Tanaka agrees to deal with Yankees
|01.22.14 at 9:52 am ET|
According to multiple reports, Masahiro Tanaka has agreed to a seven-year, $155 million contract with the Yankees. ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted that there is an opt-out after the fourth year of the deal.
Major league teams faced a Friday deadline to finalize an agreement or else Tanaka would have returned to his Japanese team. The Cubs and Dodgers were also believed to be making a strong push for him, with the Mariners, Diamondbacks, White Sox and Astros showing interest.
A 25-year-old right-hander, Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Gold Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot