Source: Red Sox agree to terms with OF Grady Sizemore
|01.22.14 at 6:32 pm ET|
According to multiple industry sources, the Red Sox have agreed to terms on a major league deal with outfielder Grady Sizemore. Sizemore will earn a $750,000 base salary with incentives that could increase the value of the deal to $6 million.
The former Indians three-time All-Star — who hit 33 homers and stole 38 bases in 2008 — last played in the majors in 2011, but has missed the past two years while recovering from knee microfracture surgery. When healthy, Sizemore was one of the pre-eminent five-tool players in the game, hitting .281/.372/.496 while averaging 27 homers and 29 steals a season from 2005-08. However, injuries have limited him to just 210 games in the last five years. When he last played in 2011 with the Indians, he hit .224/.285/.422 with 10 homers and no steals in 71 games. He also has a history with Sox manager John Farrell, who was an Indians assistant GM during Sizemore’s first five seasons (2002-06) in the Cleveland organization.
Still, if healthy, Sizemore makes considerable sense for a Sox team that was lacking center field depth behind Jackie Bradley Jr. and Shane Victorino. Utility men Justin Henry and Mike McCoy were slated to split center field duties in Pawtucket, and while the Sox view Bradley as being a player with a high ceiling and a long-term everyday option, he still has to prove that he is ready for such a role. Accordingly, per another industry source, Bradley will compete with Sizemore for the everyday center field job in spring training.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday