Red Sox agree to minor league deals with lefty Jose Mijares, outfielder Scott Cousins
|01.24.14 at 9:57 pm ET|
Industry sources have confirmed that the Red Sox have reached minor league deals with left-handed reliever Jose Mijares and outfielder Scott Cousins.
Mijares, 29, appeared in 60 games for the Giants last year, going 0-3 with a career-worst 4.22 ERA in 49 innings. However, he struck out more than a batter an inning (9.9 strikeouts per nine) with a home run rate (0.6 per nine) and walk rate (3.7 per nine) that were roughly in line with his career norms. Most of the damage done against him came by right-handers, who hit .360 with a .421 OBP and .541 slugging rate against him in 2013, while lefties hit .276/.343/.367 against the southpaw.
In his six-year big league career, Mijares has locked up lefties with a line of .225/.288/.335, while righties possess a .289/.371/.447 line against him. His career ERA is 3.23 with 8.0 punchouts per nine innings. He will be invited to big league spring training to compete for a roster spot; if he does not make the roster, he can opt out of his deal in late-March. Zach Links of MLBTradeRumors.com reports (via twitter) that Mijares would make $1 million if he makes the big league roster, with roughly $1 million possible in incentives. News of the Mijares agreement was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports (via twitter).
Cousins agreed to a minor league deal; he’ll report to minor league camp. The left-handed hitting, left-handed throwing outfielder (who turned 29 this month) has spent time in the big leagues in each of the last four seasons with the Marlins and Angels, hitting .179 with a .230 OBP and .285 slugging mark in 135 games and 193 plate appearances. He’s spent time at all three outfield positions. In eight minor league seasons, he has a career .275/.338/.438 line.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome