Red Sox agree to minor league deals with lefty Jose Mijares, outfielder Scott Cousins
|01.24.14 at 9:57 pm ET|
Industry sources have confirmed that the Red Sox have reached minor league deals with left-handed reliever Jose Mijares and outfielder Scott Cousins.
Mijares, 29, appeared in 60 games for the Giants last year, going 0-3 with a career-worst 4.22 ERA in 49 innings. However, he struck out more than a batter an inning (9.9 strikeouts per nine) with a home run rate (0.6 per nine) and walk rate (3.7 per nine) that were roughly in line with his career norms. Most of the damage done against him came by right-handers, who hit .360 with a .421 OBP and .541 slugging rate against him in 2013, while lefties hit .276/.343/.367 against the southpaw.
In his six-year big league career, Mijares has locked up lefties with a line of .225/.288/.335, while righties possess a .289/.371/.447 line against him. His career ERA is 3.23 with 8.0 punchouts per nine innings. He will be invited to big league spring training to compete for a roster spot; if he does not make the roster, he can opt out of his deal in late-March. Zach Links of MLBTradeRumors.com reports (via twitter) that Mijares would make $1 million if he makes the big league roster, with roughly $1 million possible in incentives. News of the Mijares agreement was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports (via twitter).
Cousins agreed to a minor league deal; he’ll report to minor league camp. The left-handed hitting, left-handed throwing outfielder (who turned 29 this month) has spent time in the big leagues in each of the last four seasons with the Marlins and Angels, hitting .179 with a .230 OBP and .285 slugging mark in 135 games and 193 plate appearances. He’s spent time at all three outfield positions. In eight minor league seasons, he has a career .275/.338/.438 line.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort