David Ortiz: If Red Sox don’t offer multi-year deal, ‘It’s time to move on’
|01.27.14 at 8:26 am ET|
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz, who is entering the final year of a two-year extension he signed before his standout 2013 season, said he wants a new multi-year pact or else, “It’s time to move on.”
Speaking to Steve Burton on CBS4’s “Sports Final” show that aired Sunday night, the 38-year-old Ortiz said he doesn’t know how much longer he’ll play.
“It can be two years, it can be three years, it can be 10 years,” he said. “You never know.”
Added Ortiz: “I’m feeling good. This is not a career that is forever. As long as I’m having fun like I had, as long as I keep doing what I’m doing and I’m healthy, of course, I’m going to keep on giving it a try.”
“I would like to. I’m having fun. It’s been a hell of a ride as long as I’ve been here,” he said. “But like I always keep on telling people, this is business. Sometimes you’ve got to do what is best for you and your family.
“As long as they keep offering me a job and I keep on doing what I’m supposed to do and the relationship keeps on building up, I’m going to be there. Hopefully I won’t have to go and wear another uniform.”
However, Ortiz made it clear he would consider other options if necessary.
“If I have to [play elsewhere], I’ve got no choice. I’m not going to quit,” he said. “As long as I keep on hitting the ball the way I have, I’m going to keep on giving it a try.”
Ortiz’s signed a two-year deal last offseason for $26 million, with incentives that bumped it to $30 million. After a stellar regular season (.309/.395/.564 with 30 home runs and 103 RBIs), he hit .688/.760/.1.188 in the six-game World Series victory over the Cardinals.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot