Lowell Spinners name Joe Oliver manager
|01.31.14 at 12:04 pm ET|
Former major league catcher Joe Oliver was named manager of the Single-A Lowell Spinners, the team announced Friday.
Oliver played 13 seasons in the majors, including eight with the Reds. He won a World Series title in 1990 when he helped Cincinnati knock off the favored Athletics. He finished his career with the Red Sox in 2001, appearing in five games toward the end of the season.
Oliver, 48, most recently coached the Bishop Moore Catholic High School team in Orlando, Fla.
“It’s been an experience being away from the game, raising my family, but I promised my wife I’d step away and help her after retirement,” Oliver said in a statement. “I’m very excited and appreciative to return to the game and begin this chapter, especially with Lowell.”
Added Oliver: “I feel like I’ve been out of it long enough, but I’ve been involved [coaching AAU and high school]. I’m excited to get back to the next level.”
He replaces Bruce Crabbe, who last month was named to the staff of the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox.
“We are pleased to have someone with the extensive resume and career experience as Joe to lead out team,” Spinners president and general manager Tim Bawmann said. “We look forward to welcoming Joe to the Lowell community to continue the player development track that has helped lead the Red Sox to a World Series.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller