Lowell Spinners name Joe Oliver manager
|01.31.14 at 12:04 pm ET|
Former major league catcher Joe Oliver was named manager of the Single-A Lowell Spinners, the team announced Friday.
Oliver played 13 seasons in the majors, including eight with the Reds. He won a World Series title in 1990 when he helped Cincinnati knock off the favored Athletics. He finished his career with the Red Sox in 2001, appearing in five games toward the end of the season.
Oliver, 48, most recently coached the Bishop Moore Catholic High School team in Orlando, Fla.
“It’s been an experience being away from the game, raising my family, but I promised my wife I’d step away and help her after retirement,” Oliver said in a statement. “I’m very excited and appreciative to return to the game and begin this chapter, especially with Lowell.”
Added Oliver: “I feel like I’ve been out of it long enough, but I’ve been involved [coaching AAU and high school]. I’m excited to get back to the next level.”
He replaces Bruce Crabbe, who last month was named to the staff of the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox.
“We are pleased to have someone with the extensive resume and career experience as Joe to lead out team,” Spinners president and general manager Tim Bawmann said. “We look forward to welcoming Joe to the Lowell community to continue the player development track that has helped lead the Red Sox to a World Series.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs