Lowell Spinners name Joe Oliver manager
|01.31.14 at 12:04 pm ET|
Former major league catcher Joe Oliver was named manager of the Single-A Lowell Spinners, the team announced Friday.
Oliver played 13 seasons in the majors, including eight with the Reds. He won a World Series title in 1990 when he helped Cincinnati knock off the favored Athletics. He finished his career with the Red Sox in 2001, appearing in five games toward the end of the season.
Oliver, 48, most recently coached the Bishop Moore Catholic High School team in Orlando, Fla.
“It’s been an experience being away from the game, raising my family, but I promised my wife I’d step away and help her after retirement,” Oliver said in a statement. “I’m very excited and appreciative to return to the game and begin this chapter, especially with Lowell.”
Added Oliver: “I feel like I’ve been out of it long enough, but I’ve been involved [coaching AAU and high school]. I’m excited to get back to the next level.”
He replaces Bruce Crabbe, who last month was named to the staff of the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox.
“We are pleased to have someone with the extensive resume and career experience as Joe to lead out team,” Spinners president and general manager Tim Bawmann said. “We look forward to welcoming Joe to the Lowell community to continue the player development track that has helped lead the Red Sox to a World Series.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles