Lowell Spinners name Joe Oliver manager
|01.31.14 at 12:04 pm ET|
Former major league catcher Joe Oliver was named manager of the Single-A Lowell Spinners, the team announced Friday.
Oliver played 13 seasons in the majors, including eight with the Reds. He won a World Series title in 1990 when he helped Cincinnati knock off the favored Athletics. He finished his career with the Red Sox in 2001, appearing in five games toward the end of the season.
Oliver, 48, most recently coached the Bishop Moore Catholic High School team in Orlando, Fla.
“It’s been an experience being away from the game, raising my family, but I promised my wife I’d step away and help her after retirement,” Oliver said in a statement. “I’m very excited and appreciative to return to the game and begin this chapter, especially with Lowell.”
Added Oliver: “I feel like I’ve been out of it long enough, but I’ve been involved [coaching AAU and high school]. I’m excited to get back to the next level.”
He replaces Bruce Crabbe, who last month was named to the staff of the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox.
“We are pleased to have someone with the extensive resume and career experience as Joe to lead out team,” Spinners president and general manager Tim Bawmann said. “We look forward to welcoming Joe to the Lowell community to continue the player development track that has helped lead the Red Sox to a World Series.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven