Sources: Red Sox bring back left-hander Rich Hill on minor league deal
|01.31.14 at 5:38 pm ET|
Multiple industry sources have confirmed that the Red Sox have brought back left-hander Rich Hill — who pitched for the club from 2010-12 before signing with the Indians in 2013 — on a minor league deal. The contract, first reported by Joel Sherman of the New York Post, calls for Hill to earn a base salary of $840,000 if he’s on the big league roster. Hill, 33, will have three opportunities to opt out of the deal — at the end of spring training, on May 15 and on June 30.
Hill went 2-0 with a 1.14 ERA in 40 appearances with the Sox from 2010 through 2012, a run that began when current Sox manager John Farrell was the pitching coach (and under whom Hill committed to become a sidearm pitcher), with a promising 2011 season all but wiped out by the need for Tommy John surgery and a return in 2012 that yielded a 1.83 ERA in 25 games. He had a 6.28 ERA in 63 games (38 2/3 innings) as a left-handed specialist for the Indians in 2013, with 11.9 strikeouts and 6.8 walks per nine innings.
Hill, a Boston-area native, joins the recently signed Jose Mijares as a left-handed depth option for the Sox bullpen, which is scheduled to have Craig Breslow and Andrew Miller available for the start of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome