Sources: Red Sox bring back left-hander Rich Hill on minor league deal
|01.31.14 at 5:38 pm ET|
Multiple industry sources have confirmed that the Red Sox have brought back left-hander Rich Hill — who pitched for the club from 2010-12 before signing with the Indians in 2013 — on a minor league deal. The contract, first reported by Joel Sherman of the New York Post, calls for Hill to earn a base salary of $840,000 if he’s on the big league roster. Hill, 33, will have three opportunities to opt out of the deal — at the end of spring training, on May 15 and on June 30.
Hill went 2-0 with a 1.14 ERA in 40 appearances with the Sox from 2010 through 2012, a run that began when current Sox manager John Farrell was the pitching coach (and under whom Hill committed to become a sidearm pitcher), with a promising 2011 season all but wiped out by the need for Tommy John surgery and a return in 2012 that yielded a 1.83 ERA in 25 games. He had a 6.28 ERA in 63 games (38 2/3 innings) as a left-handed specialist for the Indians in 2013, with 11.9 strikeouts and 6.8 walks per nine innings.
Hill, a Boston-area native, joins the recently signed Jose Mijares as a left-handed depth option for the Sox bullpen, which is scheduled to have Craig Breslow and Andrew Miller available for the start of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday