Sources: Red Sox bring back left-hander Rich Hill on minor league deal
|01.31.14 at 5:38 pm ET|
Multiple industry sources have confirmed that the Red Sox have brought back left-hander Rich Hill — who pitched for the club from 2010-12 before signing with the Indians in 2013 — on a minor league deal. The contract, first reported by Joel Sherman of the New York Post, calls for Hill to earn a base salary of $840,000 if he’s on the big league roster. Hill, 33, will have three opportunities to opt out of the deal — at the end of spring training, on May 15 and on June 30.
Hill went 2-0 with a 1.14 ERA in 40 appearances with the Sox from 2010 through 2012, a run that began when current Sox manager John Farrell was the pitching coach (and under whom Hill committed to become a sidearm pitcher), with a promising 2011 season all but wiped out by the need for Tommy John surgery and a return in 2012 that yielded a 1.83 ERA in 25 games. He had a 6.28 ERA in 63 games (38 2/3 innings) as a left-handed specialist for the Indians in 2013, with 11.9 strikeouts and 6.8 walks per nine innings.
Hill, a Boston-area native, joins the recently signed Jose Mijares as a left-handed depth option for the Sox bullpen, which is scheduled to have Craig Breslow and Andrew Miller available for the start of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes