Sources: Red Sox bring back left-hander Rich Hill on minor league deal
|01.31.14 at 5:38 pm ET|
Multiple industry sources have confirmed that the Red Sox have brought back left-hander Rich Hill — who pitched for the club from 2010-12 before signing with the Indians in 2013 — on a minor league deal. The contract, first reported by Joel Sherman of the New York Post, calls for Hill to earn a base salary of $840,000 if he’s on the big league roster. Hill, 33, will have three opportunities to opt out of the deal — at the end of spring training, on May 15 and on June 30.
Hill went 2-0 with a 1.14 ERA in 40 appearances with the Sox from 2010 through 2012, a run that began when current Sox manager John Farrell was the pitching coach (and under whom Hill committed to become a sidearm pitcher), with a promising 2011 season all but wiped out by the need for Tommy John surgery and a return in 2012 that yielded a 1.83 ERA in 25 games. He had a 6.28 ERA in 63 games (38 2/3 innings) as a left-handed specialist for the Indians in 2013, with 11.9 strikeouts and 6.8 walks per nine innings.
Hill, a Boston-area native, joins the recently signed Jose Mijares as a left-handed depth option for the Sox bullpen, which is scheduled to have Craig Breslow and Andrew Miller available for the start of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort