Sources: Red Sox bring back left-hander Rich Hill on minor league deal
|01.31.14 at 5:38 pm ET|
Multiple industry sources have confirmed that the Red Sox have brought back left-hander Rich Hill — who pitched for the club from 2010-12 before signing with the Indians in 2013 — on a minor league deal. The contract, first reported by Joel Sherman of the New York Post, calls for Hill to earn a base salary of $840,000 if he’s on the big league roster. Hill, 33, will have three opportunities to opt out of the deal — at the end of spring training, on May 15 and on June 30.
Hill went 2-0 with a 1.14 ERA in 40 appearances with the Sox from 2010 through 2012, a run that began when current Sox manager John Farrell was the pitching coach (and under whom Hill committed to become a sidearm pitcher), with a promising 2011 season all but wiped out by the need for Tommy John surgery and a return in 2012 that yielded a 1.83 ERA in 25 games. He had a 6.28 ERA in 63 games (38 2/3 innings) as a left-handed specialist for the Indians in 2013, with 11.9 strikeouts and 6.8 walks per nine innings.
Hill, a Boston-area native, joins the recently signed Jose Mijares as a left-handed depth option for the Sox bullpen, which is scheduled to have Craig Breslow and Andrew Miller available for the start of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept