Red Sox players react to Curt Schilling’s cancer diagnosis
|02.06.14 at 1:39 pm ET|
As Curt Schilling‘s announcement that he was recently diagnosed with cancer made its way around the web, Red Sox players tweeted their support for the pitcher who helped the team win two World Series titles.
Sending well wishes to Curt Schilling and his family. Always tough to see, stay strong!
@gehrig38 NEVER QUIT man!!
Sending heartfelt thoughts to Curt Schilling and his family during this difficult time.
In a statement released by ESPN on Wednesday, Schilling thanked everyone who offered their support.
“Shonda and I want to send a sincere thank you and our appreciation to those who have called and sent prayers, and we ask that if you are so inclined, to keep the Schilling family in your prayers,” Schilling said.
“My father left me with a saying that I’ve carried my entire life and tried to pass on to our kids: ‘Tough times don’t last, tough people do.’ Over the years in Boston, the kids at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have shown us what that means. With my incredibly talented medical team I’m ready to try to win another big game. I’ve been so very blessed and I feel grateful for what God has allowed my family to have and experience, and I’ll embrace this fight just like the rest of them, with resolute faith and head on.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off