Red Sox players react to Curt Schilling’s cancer diagnosis
|02.06.14 at 1:39 pm ET|
As Curt Schilling‘s announcement that he was recently diagnosed with cancer made its way around the web, Red Sox players tweeted their support for the pitcher who helped the team win two World Series titles.
Sending well wishes to Curt Schilling and his family. Always tough to see, stay strong!
@gehrig38 NEVER QUIT man!!
Sending heartfelt thoughts to Curt Schilling and his family during this difficult time.
In a statement released by ESPN on Wednesday, Schilling thanked everyone who offered their support.
“Shonda and I want to send a sincere thank you and our appreciation to those who have called and sent prayers, and we ask that if you are so inclined, to keep the Schilling family in your prayers,” Schilling said.
“My father left me with a saying that I’ve carried my entire life and tried to pass on to our kids: ‘Tough times don’t last, tough people do.’ Over the years in Boston, the kids at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have shown us what that means. With my incredibly talented medical team I’m ready to try to win another big game. I’ve been so very blessed and I feel grateful for what God has allowed my family to have and experience, and I’ll embrace this fight just like the rest of them, with resolute faith and head on.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo