Grady Sizemore arrives in Red Sox camp: ‘I’m healthy. I’m good to go’
|02.09.14 at 11:59 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — After finishing up a four-hour visit to his new spring training home at JetBlue Park, new Red Sox outfielder Grady Sizemore proclaimed himself healthy and ready to participate in a full preseason.
“I’m healthy. I’m good to go. There will still be some things that I’m working on this spring, just trying to get back to 100 percent,” he said. “I’m not necessarily in baseball shape but I’m in good physical shape, moving around good. I’m just looking forward to playing baseball.
Later Sizemore elaborated, explaining, “It’s all going to be bad early. Not bad, but it’s going to be rusty. Any offseason you come in you feel rusty, but when you haven’t played in two years and the better part of four years you’ve been injured ‘¦ Timing is going to be off. It’s going to be tough. Obviously it’s going to be a big adjustment early. Just not going getting too frustrated, knowing you’re going to go through some bumps early on and that’s expected.”
Sizemore hasn’t played in a major league game since Sept. 11, 2011, having undergone microfracture surgeries on both knees.
After turning down opportunities to sign major league deals with teams both in the final month of the 2013 season, and in early December, Sizemore settled on the Red Sox‘ offer of $750,000 with incentives that can push the deal up to $6 million.
The 31-year-old wasn’t certain he would be participating in the Red Sox’ first Grapefruit League game, Feb. 28, but did sound optimistic about his potential participation in the coming weeks.
“I’m just going to come and see where I’m at,” he said. “I’m happy to be back healthy and now I’m just going to get back into playing baseball and see what happens.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again