Grady Sizemore arrives in Red Sox camp: ‘I’m healthy. I’m good to go’
|02.09.14 at 11:59 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — After finishing up a four-hour visit to his new spring training home at JetBlue Park, new Red Sox outfielder Grady Sizemore proclaimed himself healthy and ready to participate in a full preseason.
“I’m healthy. I’m good to go. There will still be some things that I’m working on this spring, just trying to get back to 100 percent,” he said. “I’m not necessarily in baseball shape but I’m in good physical shape, moving around good. I’m just looking forward to playing baseball.
Later Sizemore elaborated, explaining, “It’s all going to be bad early. Not bad, but it’s going to be rusty. Any offseason you come in you feel rusty, but when you haven’t played in two years and the better part of four years you’ve been injured ‘¦ Timing is going to be off. It’s going to be tough. Obviously it’s going to be a big adjustment early. Just not going getting too frustrated, knowing you’re going to go through some bumps early on and that’s expected.”
Sizemore hasn’t played in a major league game since Sept. 11, 2011, having undergone microfracture surgeries on both knees.
After turning down opportunities to sign major league deals with teams both in the final month of the 2013 season, and in early December, Sizemore settled on the Red Sox‘ offer of $750,000 with incentives that can push the deal up to $6 million.
The 31-year-old wasn’t certain he would be participating in the Red Sox’ first Grapefruit League game, Feb. 28, but did sound optimistic about his potential participation in the coming weeks.
“I’m just going to come and see where I’m at,” he said. “I’m happy to be back healthy and now I’m just going to get back into playing baseball and see what happens.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller