Grady Sizemore arrives in Red Sox camp: ‘I’m healthy. I’m good to go’
|02.09.14 at 11:59 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — After finishing up a four-hour visit to his new spring training home at JetBlue Park, new Red Sox outfielder Grady Sizemore proclaimed himself healthy and ready to participate in a full preseason.
“I’m healthy. I’m good to go. There will still be some things that I’m working on this spring, just trying to get back to 100 percent,” he said. “I’m not necessarily in baseball shape but I’m in good physical shape, moving around good. I’m just looking forward to playing baseball.
Later Sizemore elaborated, explaining, “It’s all going to be bad early. Not bad, but it’s going to be rusty. Any offseason you come in you feel rusty, but when you haven’t played in two years and the better part of four years you’ve been injured ‘¦ Timing is going to be off. It’s going to be tough. Obviously it’s going to be a big adjustment early. Just not going getting too frustrated, knowing you’re going to go through some bumps early on and that’s expected.”
Sizemore hasn’t played in a major league game since Sept. 11, 2011, having undergone microfracture surgeries on both knees.
After turning down opportunities to sign major league deals with teams both in the final month of the 2013 season, and in early December, Sizemore settled on the Red Sox‘ offer of $750,000 with incentives that can push the deal up to $6 million.
The 31-year-old wasn’t certain he would be participating in the Red Sox’ first Grapefruit League game, Feb. 28, but did sound optimistic about his potential participation in the coming weeks.
“I’m just going to come and see where I’m at,” he said. “I’m happy to be back healthy and now I’m just going to get back into playing baseball and see what happens.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles