The Red Sox are actually throwing and hitting in Fort Myers
|02.10.14 at 11:10 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Even though the first official day of spring training isn’t slated for later this week (Saturday) — when pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report — plenty of participants were in attendance Monday at JetBlue Park.
The top of the Red Sox‘ starting rotation — Jon Lester, John Lackey and Clay Buchholz — walked out to the field as a group (along with Andrew Miller and Edward Mujica. The group did some long-toss before running a bit and then heading into the weight room.
Overseeing the operation was manager John Farrell, who just arrived in town after a whirlwind past week that included trips to Utah, Bristol, Conn., Boston and Clearwater.
Among the position players working out/hitting/fielding were Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Lavarnway, Grady Sizemore, Daniel Nava, Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. Sizemore and Bradley Jr. manned center field, while Nava took left.
For those wondering, Sizemore’s running/sprinting motions looked natural. After taking some fly balls he then conferred with director of sports medicine Dan Dyrek. In case you missed it, the outfielder said Sunday he doesn’t expect any limitations.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin