The Red Sox are actually throwing and hitting in Fort Myers
|02.10.14 at 11:10 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Even though the first official day of spring training isn’t slated for later this week (Saturday) — when pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report — plenty of participants were in attendance Monday at JetBlue Park.
The top of the Red Sox‘ starting rotation — Jon Lester, John Lackey and Clay Buchholz — walked out to the field as a group (along with Andrew Miller and Edward Mujica. The group did some long-toss before running a bit and then heading into the weight room.
Overseeing the operation was manager John Farrell, who just arrived in town after a whirlwind past week that included trips to Utah, Bristol, Conn., Boston and Clearwater.
Among the position players working out/hitting/fielding were Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Lavarnway, Grady Sizemore, Daniel Nava, Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. Sizemore and Bradley Jr. manned center field, while Nava took left.
For those wondering, Sizemore’s running/sprinting motions looked natural. After taking some fly balls he then conferred with director of sports medicine Dan Dyrek. In case you missed it, the outfielder said Sunday he doesn’t expect any limitations.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart