The Red Sox are actually throwing and hitting in Fort Myers
|02.10.14 at 11:10 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Even though the first official day of spring training isn’t slated for later this week (Saturday) — when pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report — plenty of participants were in attendance Monday at JetBlue Park.
The top of the Red Sox‘ starting rotation — Jon Lester, John Lackey and Clay Buchholz — walked out to the field as a group (along with Andrew Miller and Edward Mujica. The group did some long-toss before running a bit and then heading into the weight room.
Overseeing the operation was manager John Farrell, who just arrived in town after a whirlwind past week that included trips to Utah, Bristol, Conn., Boston and Clearwater.
Among the position players working out/hitting/fielding were Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Lavarnway, Grady Sizemore, Daniel Nava, Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. Sizemore and Bradley Jr. manned center field, while Nava took left.
For those wondering, Sizemore’s running/sprinting motions looked natural. After taking some fly balls he then conferred with director of sports medicine Dan Dyrek. In case you missed it, the outfielder said Sunday he doesn’t expect any limitations.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th