The Red Sox are actually throwing and hitting in Fort Myers
|02.10.14 at 11:10 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Even though the first official day of spring training isn’t slated for later this week (Saturday) — when pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report — plenty of participants were in attendance Monday at JetBlue Park.
The top of the Red Sox‘ starting rotation — Jon Lester, John Lackey and Clay Buchholz — walked out to the field as a group (along with Andrew Miller and Edward Mujica. The group did some long-toss before running a bit and then heading into the weight room.
Overseeing the operation was manager John Farrell, who just arrived in town after a whirlwind past week that included trips to Utah, Bristol, Conn., Boston and Clearwater.
Among the position players working out/hitting/fielding were Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Lavarnway, Grady Sizemore, Daniel Nava, Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. Sizemore and Bradley Jr. manned center field, while Nava took left.
For those wondering, Sizemore’s running/sprinting motions looked natural. After taking some fly balls he then conferred with director of sports medicine Dan Dyrek. In case you missed it, the outfielder said Sunday he doesn’t expect any limitations.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi promoted and Red Sox under investigation