Red Sox avoid arbitration with left-hander Andrew Miller
|02.15.14 at 10:32 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — According to an industry source, the Red Sox and left-hander Andrew Miller, who had a gap of $600,000 between what the team had offered ($1.55 million) and what the reliever had requested ($2.15 million) through arbitration, settled on a one-year, non-guaranteed deal for 2014 for just over $1.9 million, slightly above the midpoint between the two figures.
The 28-year-old had a career-best year in 2013, going 1-2 with a 2.64 ERA with a colossal strikeout rate of 14.1 per nine innings (along with 5.0 walks per nine innings) before a torn ligament in his foot in early July ended his season. He is once again healthy this spring.
Miller is entering his fourth year in the Red Sox organization, while entering his third campaign as a full-time reliever. In that capacity, he has a 3.04 ERA with 12.5 strikeouts and 4.7 walks per nine innings in 90 games (71 innings) since the start of the 2012 campaign. A third-time arbitration-eligible player, Miller will be eligible for free agency after the 2014 campaign.
The resolution of his contract situation means that the Sox won’t have to go to an arbitration hearing with any of their players this year, keeping intact a streak of 13 straight years under the team’s current ownership in which that’s been the case.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome