Red Sox avoid arbitration with left-hander Andrew Miller
|02.15.14 at 10:32 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — According to an industry source, the Red Sox and left-hander Andrew Miller, who had a gap of $600,000 between what the team had offered ($1.55 million) and what the reliever had requested ($2.15 million) through arbitration, settled on a one-year, non-guaranteed deal for 2014 for just over $1.9 million, slightly above the midpoint between the two figures.
The 28-year-old had a career-best year in 2013, going 1-2 with a 2.64 ERA with a colossal strikeout rate of 14.1 per nine innings (along with 5.0 walks per nine innings) before a torn ligament in his foot in early July ended his season. He is once again healthy this spring.
Miller is entering his fourth year in the Red Sox organization, while entering his third campaign as a full-time reliever. In that capacity, he has a 3.04 ERA with 12.5 strikeouts and 4.7 walks per nine innings in 90 games (71 innings) since the start of the 2012 campaign. A third-time arbitration-eligible player, Miller will be eligible for free agency after the 2014 campaign.
The resolution of his contract situation means that the Sox won’t have to go to an arbitration hearing with any of their players this year, keeping intact a streak of 13 straight years under the team’s current ownership in which that’s been the case.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Predicting Red Sox Lineup This Season
- Will the Red Sox Be Baseball's Next Dynasty?
- What Twitter's Saying About Red Sox Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training Stock Watch
- Top All-Star Candidates for Red Sox
- Breakout Performances from the First 2 Weeks of Spring Training
- Projecting Boston Red Sox's Final 25-Man Roster at the Start of Spring...
- Owens, Cecchini among 12 players cut from Sox camp
- Red Sox re-sign reliever Michael Olmsted
- System Restart 2014, Pt. 1: Catchers
- Fort Report: Depth at pitcher and catcher touted
- Rich in pitching depth
- Fort Report: The games begin
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #53: Spring Training Mailbag
- Red Sox sign outfielder Bo Greenwell to minor league deal
- Josh Maurer joins PawSox radio team
- Fort Report: Camp kicks into full gear