Red Sox avoid arbitration with left-hander Andrew Miller
|02.15.14 at 10:32 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — According to an industry source, the Red Sox and left-hander Andrew Miller, who had a gap of $600,000 between what the team had offered ($1.55 million) and what the reliever had requested ($2.15 million) through arbitration, settled on a one-year, non-guaranteed deal for 2014 for just over $1.9 million, slightly above the midpoint between the two figures.
The 28-year-old had a career-best year in 2013, going 1-2 with a 2.64 ERA with a colossal strikeout rate of 14.1 per nine innings (along with 5.0 walks per nine innings) before a torn ligament in his foot in early July ended his season. He is once again healthy this spring.
Miller is entering his fourth year in the Red Sox organization, while entering his third campaign as a full-time reliever. In that capacity, he has a 3.04 ERA with 12.5 strikeouts and 4.7 walks per nine innings in 90 games (71 innings) since the start of the 2012 campaign. A third-time arbitration-eligible player, Miller will be eligible for free agency after the 2014 campaign.
The resolution of his contract situation means that the Sox won’t have to go to an arbitration hearing with any of their players this year, keeping intact a streak of 13 straight years under the team’s current ownership in which that’s been the case.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs