Red Sox avoid arbitration with left-hander Andrew Miller
|02.15.14 at 10:32 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — According to an industry source, the Red Sox and left-hander Andrew Miller, who had a gap of $600,000 between what the team had offered ($1.55 million) and what the reliever had requested ($2.15 million) through arbitration, settled on a one-year, non-guaranteed deal for 2014 for just over $1.9 million, slightly above the midpoint between the two figures.
The 28-year-old had a career-best year in 2013, going 1-2 with a 2.64 ERA with a colossal strikeout rate of 14.1 per nine innings (along with 5.0 walks per nine innings) before a torn ligament in his foot in early July ended his season. He is once again healthy this spring.
Miller is entering his fourth year in the Red Sox organization, while entering his third campaign as a full-time reliever. In that capacity, he has a 3.04 ERA with 12.5 strikeouts and 4.7 walks per nine innings in 90 games (71 innings) since the start of the 2012 campaign. A third-time arbitration-eligible player, Miller will be eligible for free agency after the 2014 campaign.
The resolution of his contract situation means that the Sox won’t have to go to an arbitration hearing with any of their players this year, keeping intact a streak of 13 straight years under the team’s current ownership in which that’s been the case.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster