Ryan Dempster announces he will not pitch in 2014
|02.16.14 at 11:01 am ET|
Ryan Dempster has announced that he will not pitch in 2014.
Dempster was entering the second year of a two-year deal and was set to make $13.25 million this season. The Red Sox are expected to put Dempster on the restricted list, meaning they would not have to pay him this year.
While discussing his decision with reporters, Dempster left the door open for a 2015 return and said he isn’t necessarily retiring.
Dempster went 8-9 with a 4.57 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 32 appearances last season, including 29 starts. He pitched three innings in the playoffs, allowing one run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick