Ryan Dempster announces he will not pitch in 2014
|02.16.14 at 11:01 am ET|
Ryan Dempster has announced that he will not pitch in 2014.
Dempster was entering the second year of a two-year deal and was set to make $13.25 million this season. The Red Sox are expected to put Dempster on the restricted list, meaning they would not have to pay him this year.
While discussing his decision with reporters, Dempster left the door open for a 2015 return and said he isn’t necessarily retiring.
Dempster went 8-9 with a 4.57 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 32 appearances last season, including 29 starts. He pitched three innings in the playoffs, allowing one run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester