Ryan Dempster announces he will not pitch in 2014
|02.16.14 at 11:01 am ET|
Ryan Dempster has announced that he will not pitch in 2014.
Dempster was entering the second year of a two-year deal and was set to make $13.25 million this season. The Red Sox are expected to put Dempster on the restricted list, meaning they would not have to pay him this year.
While discussing his decision with reporters, Dempster left the door open for a 2015 return and said he isn’t necessarily retiring.
Dempster went 8-9 with a 4.57 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 32 appearances last season, including 29 starts. He pitched three innings in the playoffs, allowing one run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster