Ryan Dempster announces he will not pitch in 2014
|02.16.14 at 11:01 am ET|
Ryan Dempster has announced that he will not pitch in 2014.
Dempster was entering the second year of a two-year deal and was set to make $13.25 million this season. The Red Sox are expected to put Dempster on the restricted list, meaning they would not have to pay him this year.
While discussing his decision with reporters, Dempster left the door open for a 2015 return and said he isn’t necessarily retiring.
Dempster went 8-9 with a 4.57 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 32 appearances last season, including 29 starts. He pitched three innings in the playoffs, allowing one run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest