Autograph-crazed fans prove David Ortiz is most wanted man in Red Sox camp
|02.18.14 at 9:07 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — After chilling with his nine-year-old son D’Angelo on the first-base side bench of Field 1 Tuesday morning, David Ortiz decided it was time to satisfy some of the fans that had made the trip to JetBlue Park and the home of Red Sox spring training.
First, he gave a high-five to a string of about 20 VIP fans and guests that passed through the bench area on the first base side. Then, on his way back to the conditioning fields, he took 10 minutes to sign autographs for about 50 crazed fans that were testing the integrity of an interlocked metal barricade. One fan brought a champagne bottle from a celebration from the 2013 World Series run, with several names already decorating the souvenir.
“David, David, please sign my champagne bottle!” one fan begged repeatedly. “Right on the label,” shouting directions at the Red Sox slugger.
Ortiz at spring training is always a treat because those around him never know what he might say in an unguarded moment, like when he spoke about the possibility of major league baseball some day in his native Dominican Republic.
“I’ll tell you what, some facilities down there are already MLB [caliber],” he said. “I hear [MLB] is thinking about having the 2017 [season] opener between the Red Sox and Yankees.”
Ortiz was reminded that he would be 41 at that point.
“Hey, you never know,” Ortiz said with a smile. Ortiz, with his agent Fern Cuza in town Tuesday, is looking for an extension of one year to his current $30 million deal that ends after this season.
Ortiz made another friend on Tuesday when he entertained Casey Browne, the son of MLB.com and RedSox.com beat writer Ian Browne, for several minutes on his right while D’Angelo sat on his left.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles