David Ortiz meets with Red Sox officials to discuss contract status
|02.20.14 at 3:49 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — According to multiple industry sources, Red Sox DH David Ortiz and agent Fern Cuza met with members of the Red Sox front office (including representatives of team ownership) to have conversations about the slugger’s contract status. According to one source, no formal offer of a contract extension was made during the meetings.
“Just conversations,” one source suggested of the meeting.
Ortiz, entering the second year of a two-year, $26 million deal (the value of which escalated to $30 million by virtue of the slugger’s ability to avoid the DL for more than 20 days last season), would be eligible for free agency following the 2014 season, but both he and Red Sox principal owner John Henry said on Wednesday that they are hoping to ensure that Ortiz will be able to spend the remainder of his career in a Red Sox uniform.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller