Larry Lucchino: Red Sox ‘a very different animal’ than ‘inimitable, old-fashioned Yankees’
|02.21.14 at 2:50 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino suggested that his organization and the Yankees are operating in markedly different fashion. Over the last two offseasons, the Sox have signed just one free agent to a deal of as many as three years (Shane Victorino, who is entering the second season of his three-year, $39 million contract). By contrast, the Yankees added four players this offseason — Masahiro Tanaka (7 years, $155 million, plus a $20 million posting fee), Jacoby Ellsbury (7 years, $153 million), Brian McCann (5 years, $85 million) and Carlos Beltran (3 years, $45 million) — to deals that have exceeded anything the Sox have given out during that stretch.
“We’re very different animals. I’m proud of that difference,” said Lucchino. “I always cringe when people lump us together. Other baseball teams sometimes do that. They are still, this year at least, relying heavily on their inimitable old-fashioned Yankees style of high-priced, long-term free agents. And, uh, I can’t say that I wish them well, but I think that we’ve taken a different approach. … If you compare what we did last year in the offseason to what they did this year, there’s quite a contrast there.”
That said, Lucchino suggested that just because the Sox have steered clear of such commitments, they won’t rule out the possibility of a major free agent splash.
“We do keep open the prospect of having, signing a long-term deal with a free agent paying a sizable amount of money to attract a star in his prime. We haven’t ruled that out,” said Lucchino. “There’s just a rebuttable presumption against doing that, but you can rebut it. The circumstances can allow for you to go ahead and do it. The Yankees do it more often, it seems to me that they do it more often as a matter of course. And for us it would be more the exception than the rule.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester