Agent Scott Boras on free agent Stephen Drew: ‘Talent has no wristwatch’
|02.22.14 at 9:51 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com caught up with free agent shortstop Stephen Drew, who is working out in Florida on the campus of St. Thomas University at the Boras Sports Training Institute. Drew said that he’ll be in shape and “ready to go” for the start of the season. Some highlights of the fascinating glimpse into a player who is without a team:
— Drew suggested that he has avoided getting too frustrated about his free agent foray, but did acknowledge that the lack of a deal has been surprising. “It’s crazy how this game works, being in this position,’ Drew told Heyman. ‘You trust your talent. In the end, it will all work out.’
— Drew did express some bemusement about the draft-pick compensation that has dampened his market. Because he rejected the Red Sox‘ one-year qualifying offer of $14.1 million, another team would have to give up a top pick in order to sign him. That lies at the heart of the reserved interest in the 31-year-old. “A lot of people don’t want to give up that first-round pick, and that’s what it boils down to. It’s unusual. I understand draft picks, but at the same time, you have a guy who’s proven as very good on defense and a top five shortstop if you look at it,” said Drew.
— Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, suggested that the late stage of the spring should not be an impediment to Drew’s value on the open market. “Talent has no wristwatch,’ Boras said in the story. ‘When you’re the steak, you don’t worry about what time dinner is.’
— Teams with either interest or use for Drew include the Red Sox (who, Heyman reported, haven’t made a new offer since Ryan Dempster made his decision not to pitch in 2014); the Blue Jays (who could use him at second); the Mets (who offered a one-year, $9.5 million deal — the same amount Drew made this past season); the Yankees (whose infield depth is a weakness); the Pirates (who have “spoken about Drew,” according to the story); and the A’s (characterized as a longshot).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller