Spring Fort-itude: What happened with the Red Sox in Fort Myers on Sunday
|02.24.14 at 10:27 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox had another day of live batting practice in Fort Myers on Sunday, with rotation members Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester standing on a mound with hitters in the box for the first time. As ever with Buchholz, the question looms as to whether this will be the year when he breaks through for a 200-inning season. If that could ever happen — if he could come anywhere close to sustaining his dazzling performance of a year ago over the course of a full season, the impact on the Sox could be enormous. However, the Sox need him to improve his nutrition as part of the effort to build up durability for the full year, as Mike Petraglia writes.
— After a year in which he hit .296 with a .362 OBP and .523 slugging mark, the Red Sox concluded that Mike Carp is too good a hitter not to try to find more at-bats for him. And so, he is going to take some groundballs at third base with an eye towards finding more playing time. The undertaking is not without precedent in Carp’s pro career.
— A couple of notable positional experiments are taking place with a pair of second basemen in minor league camp, where Mookie Betts is taking grounders at shortstop and Sean Coyle is getting some work at third base. This is what happens when your primary position is occupied by a player who is signed through 2021 in Dustin Pedroia.
— Right-hander Dalier Hinojosa, signed to a minor league deal with a $4 million bonus in October, is embracing life in a new country and culture one year after defecting from Cuba.
— For your daily baseball fix, here’s video of Henry Owens and Rubby De La Rosa on the mound:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles