Spring Fort-itude: What happened with the Red Sox in Fort Myers on Sunday
|02.24.14 at 10:27 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox had another day of live batting practice in Fort Myers on Sunday, with rotation members Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester standing on a mound with hitters in the box for the first time. As ever with Buchholz, the question looms as to whether this will be the year when he breaks through for a 200-inning season. If that could ever happen — if he could come anywhere close to sustaining his dazzling performance of a year ago over the course of a full season, the impact on the Sox could be enormous. However, the Sox need him to improve his nutrition as part of the effort to build up durability for the full year, as Mike Petraglia writes.
— After a year in which he hit .296 with a .362 OBP and .523 slugging mark, the Red Sox concluded that Mike Carp is too good a hitter not to try to find more at-bats for him. And so, he is going to take some groundballs at third base with an eye towards finding more playing time. The undertaking is not without precedent in Carp’s pro career.
— A couple of notable positional experiments are taking place with a pair of second basemen in minor league camp, where Mookie Betts is taking grounders at shortstop and Sean Coyle is getting some work at third base. This is what happens when your primary position is occupied by a player who is signed through 2021 in Dustin Pedroia.
— Right-hander Dalier Hinojosa, signed to a minor league deal with a $4 million bonus in October, is embracing life in a new country and culture one year after defecting from Cuba.
— For your daily baseball fix, here’s video of Henry Owens and Rubby De La Rosa on the mound:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin