Spring Fort-itude: What happened to the Red Sox in Fort Myers on Tuesday
|02.26.14 at 9:54 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — It’s getting closer.
Red Sox spring training moved from the back fields into the ballpark at JetBlue Park on Tuesday, a reflection of the fact that exhibition games are gearing up. For your moment of daily Zen of ball hitting bat in batting practice — which includes the not-so-Zen and well-nigh Sisyphean undertaking of right-handers trying to clear the inexact (and taller) facsimile of the Green Monster in left field — click here for video.
Here was the news of the day:
— One of the strongest early prospect impressions in camp has been made by third baseman Garin Cecchini. He joined the Dennis & Callahan show on WEEI to discuss what he characterized as his defensive breakthrough this spring at third base, as well as the players whose games he most closely emulates.
— Red Sox manager John Farrell identified a pair of closing alternatives at times when Koji Uehara is unavailable. One of the names — Edward Mujica, who was an All-Star closer last year for the Cardinals before losing the job down the stretch — comes as little surprise. The suggestion that Andrew Miller also would be considered for the role was somewhat less expected.
— Catching prospect Blake Swihart stands out for one aspect of his batting approach.
— For a look at a very atypical reliever, submarining right-hander Shunsuke Watanabe — a 37-year-old from Japan who signed a minor league deal — click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Ysla, Victor Diaz and Gerson Bautista
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced