Travis Shaw (2-for-2), Garin Cecchini (2-for-3) lead Red Sox over Boston College
|02.27.14 at 5:48 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Travis Shaw drilled a three-run double to break open a close game as the Red Sox completed a sweep of their college doubleheader with a 5-2 win over Boston College Thursday at JetBlue Park.
The Red Sox had to come from behind in the opener to escape with a 5-2 win over Northeastern as Grady Sizemore returned to game action for the first time since Sept. 2011. Both games were played in seven innings.
In the nightcap, Brandon Snyder’s ground rule double off BC starter Eric Stevens scored Brock Holt for a 1-0 Red Sox lead. Christian Vazquez homered over the JetBlue Monster in left in the fourth to put Boston up, 2-0.
Garin Cecchini, Mookie Betts and Matty Johnson all singled to load the bases in the fifth. After Bryce Brentz struck out looking, Shaw, the son of former major league closer Jeff Shaw, doubled to deep right to open up the game and give the Red Sox a 5-0 lead.
Those three runs would prove valuable as Boston College scored twice off Austin Maddox in the seventh before left fielder Kuery De La Cruz threw out Geoffrey Murphy at the plate to end the game.
Rubby De La Rosa started and got the win, allowing just one hit while striking out two in two innings of work. Matt Barnes followed up with a perfect third inning.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg