Grady Sizemore starts in center, A.J. Pierzynski, Daniel Nava get first looks of spring
|03.01.14 at 9:18 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A.J. Pierzynski gets his first start of the spring and will catch righthander Allen Webster as the Red Sox look to rebound against the Twins after dropping their Grapefruit League opener, 8-2, Friday at JetBlue Park.
“We’ve all seen him many times, just now it’s in our uniform,” John Farrell said Saturday morning at JetBlue Park before taking the crosstown bus ride to Hammond Stadium. “But this is the first step to handling the guys he’s going to be dealing with. Even though it’s not one our of frontline starters right now in Webster but I think first game activity for A.J. will start that transition to us in earnest.”
First pitch under sunny skies and temperatures in the upper 70s is set for 1:05 p.m. at Hammond Stadium.
Also starting for the first time this spring is Daniel Nava, who missed time early in camp with neck soreness. He took batting practice and participated in infield and outfield drills this week and was cleared to play.
Grady Sizemore plays for the second time in three days and will get his first look in center field after playing left field on Thursday against Northeastern.
Here is Saturday’s lineup for the Red Sox:
Jonathan Herrera SS
Daniel Nava LF
A.J. Pierzynski C
Mike Carp 1B
Alex Hassan RF
Garin Cecchini 3B
Travis Shaw DH
Brock Holt 2B
Allen Webster P
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa