Red Sox notes: Jake Peavy damaged tendon, nerves in finger but has started throwing; David Ross sidelined by foot issue
|03.04.14 at 10:02 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Jake Peavy told WEEI.com prior to playing catch Tuesday morning that the fishing knife that led to a laceration of his left index finger actually cut through a tendon, resulted in some nerve damage and required surgery (along with stitches).
The ailment isn’t preventing Peavy from continuing his progression however, with John Farrell telling the media that the starter will participate in a bullpen session Wednesday after Tuesday’s long-toss. Peavy will not use a glove for either exercise.
– Shane Victorino took batting practice for the first time since being drawn back due to a back ailment. The outfielder, who has been participating in soft toss in the batting cage, will continue his workouts through the week, with the Red Sox deciding on Victorino’s availability for game action after that time.
– Catcher David Ross isn’t expected to play again until Friday, having to deal with inflammation in a tendon on his left foot. An MRI revealed no damage to the area.
– Pitching prospect Matt Barnes is being given a few extra days of rest after reporting stiffness in the back of his right shoulder. Barnes, who has had no previous shoulder problems, had made an appearance against Boston College last Thursday.
– Farrell noted that the hope is to get Wednesday’s starter, Chris Capuano, up to four or five innings before the end of spring training. The manager said that if something happens to one of the team’s top five starters, Capuano and Brandon Workman would be the leading candidates to enter the rotation.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela