Red Sox notes: Jake Peavy damaged tendon, nerves in finger but has started throwing; David Ross sidelined by foot issue
|03.04.14 at 10:02 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Jake Peavy told WEEI.com prior to playing catch Tuesday morning that the fishing knife that led to a laceration of his left index finger actually cut through a tendon, resulted in some nerve damage and required surgery (along with stitches).
The ailment isn’t preventing Peavy from continuing his progression however, with John Farrell telling the media that the starter will participate in a bullpen session Wednesday after Tuesday’s long-toss. Peavy will not use a glove for either exercise.
– Shane Victorino took batting practice for the first time since being drawn back due to a back ailment. The outfielder, who has been participating in soft toss in the batting cage, will continue his workouts through the week, with the Red Sox deciding on Victorino’s availability for game action after that time.
– Catcher David Ross isn’t expected to play again until Friday, having to deal with inflammation in a tendon on his left foot. An MRI revealed no damage to the area.
– Pitching prospect Matt Barnes is being given a few extra days of rest after reporting stiffness in the back of his right shoulder. Barnes, who has had no previous shoulder problems, had made an appearance against Boston College last Thursday.
– Farrell noted that the hope is to get Wednesday’s starter, Chris Capuano, up to four or five innings before the end of spring training. The manager said that if something happens to one of the team’s top five starters, Capuano and Brandon Workman would be the leading candidates to enter the rotation.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles