Jerry Remy’s lawyers due in court Wednesday for granddaughter custody case
|03.05.14 at 10:01 am ET|
Lawyers for NESN Red Sox analyst Jerry Remy are due in court Wednesday for a pre-trial hearing regarding who will get custody of the 5-year-old girl whose mother allegedly was killed by Remy’s son, Jared, last summer. The case is due to go to trial March 25 in Middlesex Probate and Family Court in Cambridge.
Remy and his wife, Phoebe, are fighting for custody of their granddaughter, Arianna. The parents of Arianna’s late mother, Jennifer Martel, also are pushing for custody. According to a Boston Herald report, Brian and Patricia Martel moved to Massachusetts from Virginia in order to be closer to Arianna, who is in the custody of the state’s Department of Children and Families. Jennifer’s brother and his wife also have relocated to the Bay State.
Brian Martel’s brother, Richard, who lives in Fall River, told the Herald his sibling’s family would be a more suitable home for the girl.
“You’ve got to bring up a baby with love, not with cash,” he said, adding: “[Remy's] not going to be there. He’s going to be away all the time.”
Added Richard Martel: “It’s been going on long enough. My brother and his wife … would be perfect for that baby. That would be the right decision.”
Remy, whose three children all have had run-ins with police, returned to the broadcast booth Sunday after taking off the last two months last season following his son’s arrest. He appeared on Dennis & Callahan on Monday and talked about his decision to return but did not discuss the custody case then or with the Herald.
Said his attorney, Sandy Durland: “I know that Phoebe and Jerry are focused on continuing to provide support and love for their granddaughter. I think that’s going to be their focus now, and I think it will be their focus in the future.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday