Jerry Remy’s lawyers due in court Wednesday for granddaughter custody case
|03.05.14 at 10:01 am ET|
Lawyers for NESN Red Sox analyst Jerry Remy are due in court Wednesday for a pre-trial hearing regarding who will get custody of the 5-year-old girl whose mother allegedly was killed by Remy’s son, Jared, last summer. The case is due to go to trial March 25 in Middlesex Probate and Family Court in Cambridge.
Remy and his wife, Phoebe, are fighting for custody of their granddaughter, Arianna. The parents of Arianna’s late mother, Jennifer Martel, also are pushing for custody. According to a Boston Herald report, Brian and Patricia Martel moved to Massachusetts from Virginia in order to be closer to Arianna, who is in the custody of the state’s Department of Children and Families. Jennifer’s brother and his wife also have relocated to the Bay State.
Brian Martel’s brother, Richard, who lives in Fall River, told the Herald his sibling’s family would be a more suitable home for the girl.
“You’ve got to bring up a baby with love, not with cash,” he said, adding: “[Remy’s] not going to be there. He’s going to be away all the time.”
Added Richard Martel: “It’s been going on long enough. My brother and his wife … would be perfect for that baby. That would be the right decision.”
Remy, whose three children all have had run-ins with police, returned to the broadcast booth Sunday after taking off the last two months last season following his son’s arrest. He appeared on Dennis & Callahan on Monday and talked about his decision to return but did not discuss the custody case then or with the Herald.
Said his attorney, Sandy Durland: “I know that Phoebe and Jerry are focused on continuing to provide support and love for their granddaughter. I think that’s going to be their focus now, and I think it will be their focus in the future.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game