Jon Lester: ‘Nothing has gone on recently’ with contract talks
|03.05.14 at 12:38 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Speaking after his 38-pitch outing against minor-leaguers at JetBlue Park Wednesday, Jon Lester explained that there is nothing to report regarding any contract extension.
“I’m sure you guys will know before I do on anything that happens,” he said. “But nothing has gone on recently.”
Lester’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, were in town last week, presenting the foundation for talks regarding a deal for the pitcher.
Asked if he believed something could be worked out, Lester said, “I don’t know. Like I said, I just play baseball, I let those guys talk and handle all that stuff. Those are the guys with more answers than me. If you guys want to get more answers from Seth or Sam or Ben [Cherington] or any of those guys, I think they’ll be able to answer it better than I will in this whole deal right now.”
Lester, who is in the final year of his current deal, is viewed as one of the top two pitchers in next offeseason’s free agent class (joining Detroit’s Max Scherzer).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo