Jon Lester: ‘Nothing has gone on recently’ with contract talks
|03.05.14 at 12:38 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Speaking after his 38-pitch outing against minor-leaguers at JetBlue Park Wednesday, Jon Lester explained that there is nothing to report regarding any contract extension.
“I’m sure you guys will know before I do on anything that happens,” he said. “But nothing has gone on recently.”
Lester’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, were in town last week, presenting the foundation for talks regarding a deal for the pitcher.
Asked if he believed something could be worked out, Lester said, “I don’t know. Like I said, I just play baseball, I let those guys talk and handle all that stuff. Those are the guys with more answers than me. If you guys want to get more answers from Seth or Sam or Ben [Cherington] or any of those guys, I think they’ll be able to answer it better than I will in this whole deal right now.”
Lester, who is in the final year of his current deal, is viewed as one of the top two pitchers in next offeseason’s free agent class (joining Detroit’s Max Scherzer).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens