Jon Lester: ‘Nothing has gone on recently’ with contract talks
|03.05.14 at 12:38 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Speaking after his 38-pitch outing against minor-leaguers at JetBlue Park Wednesday, Jon Lester explained that there is nothing to report regarding any contract extension.
“I’m sure you guys will know before I do on anything that happens,” he said. “But nothing has gone on recently.”
Lester’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, were in town last week, presenting the foundation for talks regarding a deal for the pitcher.
Asked if he believed something could be worked out, Lester said, “I don’t know. Like I said, I just play baseball, I let those guys talk and handle all that stuff. Those are the guys with more answers than me. If you guys want to get more answers from Seth or Sam or Ben [Cherington] or any of those guys, I think they’ll be able to answer it better than I will in this whole deal right now.”
Lester, who is in the final year of his current deal, is viewed as one of the top two pitchers in next offeseason’s free agent class (joining Detroit’s Max Scherzer).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.