Rich Hill returns to Red Sox camp after passing of his newborn son
|03.06.14 at 9:42 am ET|
Hill relayed the information Thursday morning that Brooks passed away recently after being born with what Hill described as “multiple” health issues.
“We had a son on December 26 and he was born with multiple issues that we confronted and had to deal with, as we were moving through the last couple of months at Mass General,” Hill said. “Unfortunately he succumbed and he has passed. He taught us a lot of things, and unfortunately things didn’t work out. My wife has been extremely strong. Our son, who is 2 ½, is with us here down in Florida so we are going to enjoy our time here and obviously make the most of the opportunity that’s here to present itself to play baseball.”
The 33-year-old Hill, who is in camp on a minor league deal after making 63 appearances for the Indians in 2013, explained that the family issues were an impetus for identifying the Red Sox as a landing spot this offseason.
“It was a strong correlation there,” Hill said. “Fortunately I had the opportunity to come back. The Red Sox have been tremendous with this whole part of our life.
“I fully feel that the opportunity is here. I think that was also with a blend of the opportunity that is here and obviously with our family situation that we had. With the opportunity that is here, for myself to make the most of it and do everything I can on daily basis to perform.”
Hill was unsure of what his pitching progression will be, but did note how pleased he was to be back in a baseball clubhouse. The lefty had pitched with the Red Sox from 2010-12.
“I’m absolutely excited to be here and be playing baseball again, to get back into the normalcy of my profession and to be around a great group of guys,” he said. “Just to take that next step, a one day at a time approach. That’s where we’re at. Just really enjoy every day.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles