Rich Hill returns to Red Sox camp after passing of his newborn son
|03.06.14 at 9:42 am ET|
Hill relayed the information Thursday morning that Brooks passed away recently after being born with what Hill described as “multiple” health issues.
“We had a son on December 26 and he was born with multiple issues that we confronted and had to deal with, as we were moving through the last couple of months at Mass General,” Hill said. “Unfortunately he succumbed and he has passed. He taught us a lot of things, and unfortunately things didn’t work out. My wife has been extremely strong. Our son, who is 2 ½, is with us here down in Florida so we are going to enjoy our time here and obviously make the most of the opportunity that’s here to present itself to play baseball.”
The 33-year-old Hill, who is in camp on a minor league deal after making 63 appearances for the Indians in 2013, explained that the family issues were an impetus for identifying the Red Sox as a landing spot this offseason.
“It was a strong correlation there,” Hill said. “Fortunately I had the opportunity to come back. The Red Sox have been tremendous with this whole part of our life.
“I fully feel that the opportunity is here. I think that was also with a blend of the opportunity that is here and obviously with our family situation that we had. With the opportunity that is here, for myself to make the most of it and do everything I can on daily basis to perform.”
Hill was unsure of what his pitching progression will be, but did note how pleased he was to be back in a baseball clubhouse. The lefty had pitched with the Red Sox from 2010-12.
“I’m absolutely excited to be here and be playing baseball again, to get back into the normalcy of my profession and to be around a great group of guys,” he said. “Just to take that next step, a one day at a time approach. That’s where we’re at. Just really enjoy every day.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston