Felix Doubront, Grady Sizemore impress as Red Sox beat Braves
|03.07.14 at 4:15 pm ET|
In two of the past three years, there were concerns that Felix Doubront hadn’t shown up to spring training in pitching shape. He’s challenging that narrative this year.
Doubront continued his strong initial showing by firing four shutout innings against the Braves in the Red Sox‘ 4-1 win over visiting Atlanta at JetBlue Park. The left-hander allowed just two singles (one of the infield variety) and, perhaps more significantly, punched out three without walking a batter. The Sox had made some mechanical alterations in an effort to make Doubront’s delivery to the plate more direct in hopes that it would permit him to do a better job of throwing strikes. To date, he’s punched out six and walked none in six shutout spring innings spanning his two appearances. It would be a mistake to draw too many conclusions about strikeout and walk numbers from the start of spring, but if Doubront can harness his pitches in the strike zone, he could make a significant career step forward in 2014.
The Sox fell behind 1-0 in the top of the sixth when Jason Heyward launched a solo homer to right against reliever Junichi Tazawa, but the hosts responded with a game-tying run in the bottom of the sixth and three in the bottom of the seventh. While Jonathan Herrera (go-ahead RBI double) and Ryan Lavarnway (two-run single) delivered the runs, the most notable offensive performance may have come from center fielder Grady Sizemore. Batting leadoff, Sizemore beat out an infield single and later lined another single to center, after which he showed good first-step quickness in advancing from first to second. Sizemore is now 3-for-8 with a walk and a strikeout in his first three spring contests.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles