Red Sox notes: Jake Peavy, Shane Victorino, A.J. Pierzynski near return to games
|03.07.14 at 3:45 pm ET|
– Farrell said that right-hander Jake Peavy will throw a simulated game on Saturday and then, if all goes well, he’ll make his first Grapefruit League start of the year the following Thursday. His pitching schedule had been delayed by a laceration of a finger on his left hand suffered in an accident with his fishing knife. He has yet to be able to catch baseballs given the injury to his glove hand, but the Sox expect that he ultimately will be able to start doing so in time to pitch in a reasonable complement of games.
“The wound is healing satisfactorily,” Farrell told reporters. “All things considered, he’s making good progress with it.”
With a start on the 13th, Farrell said that the Sox would expect the right-hander to get four starts in Fort Myers (in addition to the simulated innings on Saturday), which he suggested would suffice in getting the pitcher ready for the start of the year.
“We’re not going to skip steps,” Farrell told reporters, “but we feel like there’s ample time to ramp him up.”
– Farrell said that the team hopes Shane Victorino starts playing in games “early next week.”
– David Ross returned to the lineup for the first time since March 2, going 0-for-2 with a pair of strikeouts. He’d been sidelined for a few days by soreness in his left foot.
– A.J. Pierzynski, out since March 3 with an ankle injury, is expected to return to the Red Sox lineup on Saturday.
– Farrell said that the Red Sox would likely make their first round of cuts after the team’s pair of split-squad games on Tuesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League