Red Sox notes: Jake Peavy, Shane Victorino, A.J. Pierzynski near return to games
|03.07.14 at 3:45 pm ET|
— Farrell said that right-hander Jake Peavy will throw a simulated game on Saturday and then, if all goes well, he’ll make his first Grapefruit League start of the year the following Thursday. His pitching schedule had been delayed by a laceration of a finger on his left hand suffered in an accident with his fishing knife. He has yet to be able to catch baseballs given the injury to his glove hand, but the Sox expect that he ultimately will be able to start doing so in time to pitch in a reasonable complement of games.
“The wound is healing satisfactorily,” Farrell told reporters. “All things considered, he’s making good progress with it.”
With a start on the 13th, Farrell said that the Sox would expect the right-hander to get four starts in Fort Myers (in addition to the simulated innings on Saturday), which he suggested would suffice in getting the pitcher ready for the start of the year.
“We’re not going to skip steps,” Farrell told reporters, “but we feel like there’s ample time to ramp him up.”
— Farrell said that the team hopes Shane Victorino starts playing in games “early next week.”
— David Ross returned to the lineup for the first time since March 2, going 0-for-2 with a pair of strikeouts. He’d been sidelined for a few days by soreness in his left foot.
— A.J. Pierzynski, out since March 3 with an ankle injury, is expected to return to the Red Sox lineup on Saturday.
— Farrell said that the Red Sox would likely make their first round of cuts after the team’s pair of split-squad games on Tuesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell