Red Sox notes: Jake Peavy, Shane Victorino, A.J. Pierzynski near return to games
|03.07.14 at 3:45 pm ET|
— Farrell said that right-hander Jake Peavy will throw a simulated game on Saturday and then, if all goes well, he’ll make his first Grapefruit League start of the year the following Thursday. His pitching schedule had been delayed by a laceration of a finger on his left hand suffered in an accident with his fishing knife. He has yet to be able to catch baseballs given the injury to his glove hand, but the Sox expect that he ultimately will be able to start doing so in time to pitch in a reasonable complement of games.
“The wound is healing satisfactorily,” Farrell told reporters. “All things considered, he’s making good progress with it.”
With a start on the 13th, Farrell said that the Sox would expect the right-hander to get four starts in Fort Myers (in addition to the simulated innings on Saturday), which he suggested would suffice in getting the pitcher ready for the start of the year.
“We’re not going to skip steps,” Farrell told reporters, “but we feel like there’s ample time to ramp him up.”
— Farrell said that the team hopes Shane Victorino starts playing in games “early next week.”
— David Ross returned to the lineup for the first time since March 2, going 0-for-2 with a pair of strikeouts. He’d been sidelined for a few days by soreness in his left foot.
— A.J. Pierzynski, out since March 3 with an ankle injury, is expected to return to the Red Sox lineup on Saturday.
— Farrell said that the Red Sox would likely make their first round of cuts after the team’s pair of split-squad games on Tuesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Groome impresses in spring start
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp