Red Sox regulars held hitless as Orioles complete split squad sweep
|03.08.14 at 10:36 pm ET|
Right-hander Brandon Workman was strong early, logging three shutout innings to start the game, but his two-hit, two-run stumble in the fourth set the stage for an ugly path through the late innings in an eventual 13-2 Red Sox loss to the Orioles. The defeat was the second split-squad loss by the Red Sox to the O’s on Saturday, following a 7-3 setback in Sarasota earlier in the day.
Though Workman was sharp early, he ended up getting saddled with two runs in 3 1/3 innings. The game then got out of hand when Baltimore compiled two runs in the sixth off of right-hander Brayan Villarreal and eight in the seventh against Miguel Celestino and Shunsuke Watanabe. Of course, of that group, Workman is the only one with a realistic shot of opening the season in the big leagues, and even he may end up in the rotation of Triple-A Pawtucket at the start of the year.
On the other hand, the Red Sox lineup featured anticipated regulars Daniel Nava, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, Mike Napoli, A.J. Pierzynski, Jonny Gomes and Xander Bogaerts, along with utility man Jonathan Herrera. That group went a combined 0-for-19 against the Baltimore quartet of starter Kevin Gausman (3 shutout innings) and relievers Evan Meek (2 innings), Mike Wright (2 innings) and Ryan Webb (1 inning). The Sox collected just three hits, with Corey Brown and Brandon Snyder each delivering singles. Christian Vazquez finally put the Sox on the board with a two-run homer in the ninth inning against lefty Troy Patton.
The Sox turned in another poor defensive effort, committing a half a dozen errors (roll call: 2 by Herrera, one each by Gomes, Villarreal, Garin Cecchini and Heiker Meneses) while adding in a passed ball by Pierzynski.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.