Red Sox regulars held hitless as Orioles complete split squad sweep
|03.08.14 at 10:36 pm ET|
Right-hander Brandon Workman was strong early, logging three shutout innings to start the game, but his two-hit, two-run stumble in the fourth set the stage for an ugly path through the late innings in an eventual 13-2 Red Sox loss to the Orioles. The defeat was the second split-squad loss by the Red Sox to the O’s on Saturday, following a 7-3 setback in Sarasota earlier in the day.
Though Workman was sharp early, he ended up getting saddled with two runs in 3 1/3 innings. The game then got out of hand when Baltimore compiled two runs in the sixth off of right-hander Brayan Villarreal and eight in the seventh against Miguel Celestino and Shunsuke Watanabe. Of course, of that group, Workman is the only one with a realistic shot of opening the season in the big leagues, and even he may end up in the rotation of Triple-A Pawtucket at the start of the year.
On the other hand, the Red Sox lineup featured anticipated regulars Daniel Nava, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, Mike Napoli, A.J. Pierzynski, Jonny Gomes and Xander Bogaerts, along with utility man Jonathan Herrera. That group went a combined 0-for-19 against the Baltimore quartet of starter Kevin Gausman (3 shutout innings) and relievers Evan Meek (2 innings), Mike Wright (2 innings) and Ryan Webb (1 inning). The Sox collected just three hits, with Corey Brown and Brandon Snyder each delivering singles. Christian Vazquez finally put the Sox on the board with a two-run homer in the ninth inning against lefty Troy Patton.
The Sox turned in another poor defensive effort, committing a half a dozen errors (roll call: 2 by Herrera, one each by Gomes, Villarreal, Garin Cecchini and Heiker Meneses) while adding in a passed ball by Pierzynski.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield