Red Sox split squad beats Orioles and pitcher Alfredo Aceves
|03.11.14 at 4:25 pm ET|
A split squad of Red Sox players in Sarasota showed no dearth of firepower against the Orioles, as Boston’s used three homers and a rally against former Sox pitcher Alfredo Aceves to claim a 6-5 victory over the Orioles. Will Middlebrooks homered for the second time in as many games against Orioles right-hander Tommy Hunter, while Brock Holt and Ryan Lavarnway both went deep for the first time of the spring. Lavarnway’s homer came against former teammate Aceves, who allowed three runs on five hits (including an RBI double by Daniel Nava and RBI triple by Jackie Bradley Jr. in the seventh inning and Lavarnway’s eighth-inning solo homer) in two innings of work. Nava went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles, while catcher A.J. Pierzynski went 3-for-3 and drove in a run.
Sox starter Allen Webster was dominant early, allowing two hits (both singles, one of the infield variety) and striking out three through the first three frames while getting one groundball after another. But he issued three straight walks with one out in the fourth to end his day on a down note; he was ultimately charged with two runs when reliever Alex Wilson permitted two of his inherited runners to score.
Still, the Sox managed to keep the game in check until breaking a 3-3 tie with their trio of runs in the seventh and eighth innings against Aceves.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players