Red Sox split squad beats Orioles and pitcher Alfredo Aceves
|03.11.14 at 4:25 pm ET|
A split squad of Red Sox players in Sarasota showed no dearth of firepower against the Orioles, as Boston’s used three homers and a rally against former Sox pitcher Alfredo Aceves to claim a 6-5 victory over the Orioles. Will Middlebrooks homered for the second time in as many games against Orioles right-hander Tommy Hunter, while Brock Holt and Ryan Lavarnway both went deep for the first time of the spring. Lavarnway’s homer came against former teammate Aceves, who allowed three runs on five hits (including an RBI double by Daniel Nava and RBI triple by Jackie Bradley Jr. in the seventh inning and Lavarnway’s eighth-inning solo homer) in two innings of work. Nava went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles, while catcher A.J. Pierzynski went 3-for-3 and drove in a run.
Sox starter Allen Webster was dominant early, allowing two hits (both singles, one of the infield variety) and striking out three through the first three frames while getting one groundball after another. But he issued three straight walks with one out in the fourth to end his day on a down note; he was ultimately charged with two runs when reliever Alex Wilson permitted two of his inherited runners to score.
Still, the Sox managed to keep the game in check until breaking a 3-3 tie with their trio of runs in the seventh and eighth innings against Aceves.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers