Jose Iglesias: Shin problem cropped up while trying to make 2013 Red Sox
|03.17.14 at 1:27 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ After revealing that he has stress fractures in both of his shins, Detroit shortstop Jose Iglesias told MLB.com and the Detroit Free-Press that it was an issue he had dealt with since the beginning of the 2013 spring training.
‘I just feel it from the very first moment of spring training (last year),’ Iglesias said. ‘I just told myself to play through it, because I never expected something like that. I just feel pain, but Stephen Drew had a concussion at the time and that was an opportunity for me to start with the team. And I was like, ‘You know what, you’ve got to play through it.’ And I did.
‘We didn’t know what it was, but I played through it all year long.’
Iglesias totaled 68 spring training at-bats with the Red Sox last season, hitting .294 with a .765 OPS. Because of Drew’s concussion, the 24-year-old served as the Sox’ Opening Day starter.
‘Last year, I played through the pain all year long,’ Iglesias said. ‘Sometimes [Red Sox manager John] Farrell had to give me some days, the same as [former Tigers manager] Jim Leyland here. He had to give me some days or take me out of the game because the pain was so bad. And I was like, ‘Man, I don’t know what to do to get rid of it.’ And I never found out until right now that it was a fracture.’
Iglesias, who will be visiting specialist Dr. Thomas Clanton in Colorado to determine how the injury will be treated, said he is expecting to play at some point during the 2014 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs