Jose Iglesias: Shin problem cropped up while trying to make 2013 Red Sox
|03.17.14 at 1:27 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ After revealing that he has stress fractures in both of his shins, Detroit shortstop Jose Iglesias told MLB.com and the Detroit Free-Press that it was an issue he had dealt with since the beginning of the 2013 spring training.
‘I just feel it from the very first moment of spring training (last year),’ Iglesias said. ‘I just told myself to play through it, because I never expected something like that. I just feel pain, but Stephen Drew had a concussion at the time and that was an opportunity for me to start with the team. And I was like, ‘You know what, you’ve got to play through it.’ And I did.
‘We didn’t know what it was, but I played through it all year long.’
Iglesias totaled 68 spring training at-bats with the Red Sox last season, hitting .294 with a .765 OPS. Because of Drew’s concussion, the 24-year-old served as the Sox’ Opening Day starter.
‘Last year, I played through the pain all year long,’ Iglesias said. ‘Sometimes [Red Sox manager John] Farrell had to give me some days, the same as [former Tigers manager] Jim Leyland here. He had to give me some days or take me out of the game because the pain was so bad. And I was like, ‘Man, I don’t know what to do to get rid of it.’ And I never found out until right now that it was a fracture.’
Iglesias, who will be visiting specialist Dr. Thomas Clanton in Colorado to determine how the injury will be treated, said he is expecting to play at some point during the 2014 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers