Jose Iglesias: Shin problem cropped up while trying to make 2013 Red Sox
|03.17.14 at 1:27 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ After revealing that he has stress fractures in both of his shins, Detroit shortstop Jose Iglesias told MLB.com and the Detroit Free-Press that it was an issue he had dealt with since the beginning of the 2013 spring training.
‘I just feel it from the very first moment of spring training (last year),’ Iglesias said. ‘I just told myself to play through it, because I never expected something like that. I just feel pain, but Stephen Drew had a concussion at the time and that was an opportunity for me to start with the team. And I was like, ‘You know what, you’ve got to play through it.’ And I did.
‘We didn’t know what it was, but I played through it all year long.’
Iglesias totaled 68 spring training at-bats with the Red Sox last season, hitting .294 with a .765 OPS. Because of Drew’s concussion, the 24-year-old served as the Sox’ Opening Day starter.
‘Last year, I played through the pain all year long,’ Iglesias said. ‘Sometimes [Red Sox manager John] Farrell had to give me some days, the same as [former Tigers manager] Jim Leyland here. He had to give me some days or take me out of the game because the pain was so bad. And I was like, ‘Man, I don’t know what to do to get rid of it.’ And I never found out until right now that it was a fracture.’
Iglesias, who will be visiting specialist Dr. Thomas Clanton in Colorado to determine how the injury will be treated, said he is expecting to play at some point during the 2014 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech dominates again, Dalbec blasts a pair