Red Sox option Allen Webster, Christian Vazquez to Triple-A
|03.17.14 at 9:35 am ET|
The Red Sox on Monday optioned pitcher Allen Webster and catcher Christian Vazquez to Triple-A Pawtucket and reassigned shortstop Deven Marrero to minor league camp.
The moves leave the Red Sox with 43 players in big league camp, including 33 players from the 40-man roster and 10 non-roster invitees.
Webster pitched Sunday against the Rays and struggled, allowing three runs (two earned) over four innings on three hits and three walks, with three strikeouts. In four spring training starts the 24-year-old right-hander is 0-2 with a 5.25 ERA, allowing 10 hits and seven walks in 12 innings with eight strikeouts.
Vazquez, 23, has appeared in eight games, with 10 at-bats, and is hitting .500/.583/.800 with one home run, three RBIs, two walks and a strikeout.
Marrero went 1-for-3 Sunday, hitting a ninth-inning home run off right-hander Juan Sandoval. In 21 at-bats over 13 games the 23-year-old is hitting .333/.462/.571 with two doubles, one home run, one RBI and eight strikeouts. His defense has been “spectacular,” according to manager John Farrell.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell