Red Sox option Allen Webster, Christian Vazquez to Triple-A
|03.17.14 at 9:35 am ET|
The Red Sox on Monday optioned pitcher Allen Webster and catcher Christian Vazquez to Triple-A Pawtucket and reassigned shortstop Deven Marrero to minor league camp.
The moves leave the Red Sox with 43 players in big league camp, including 33 players from the 40-man roster and 10 non-roster invitees.
Webster pitched Sunday against the Rays and struggled, allowing three runs (two earned) over four innings on three hits and three walks, with three strikeouts. In four spring training starts the 24-year-old right-hander is 0-2 with a 5.25 ERA, allowing 10 hits and seven walks in 12 innings with eight strikeouts.
Vazquez, 23, has appeared in eight games, with 10 at-bats, and is hitting .500/.583/.800 with one home run, three RBIs, two walks and a strikeout.
Marrero went 1-for-3 Sunday, hitting a ninth-inning home run off right-hander Juan Sandoval. In 21 at-bats over 13 games the 23-year-old is hitting .333/.462/.571 with two doubles, one home run, one RBI and eight strikeouts. His defense has been “spectacular,” according to manager John Farrell.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings