John Farrell not worried about David Ortiz’ slow spring training
|03.20.14 at 4:47 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A few spring trainings back, after a slow start, David Ortiz was asked if he was concerned about the exhibition season slump.
“There’s a reason they don’t put spring training stats on the back of baseball cards,” Ortiz quipped.
The designated hitter has seemingly earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to preparing for the regular season. The latest example was in 2013 when he didn’t get a single training at-bats, played in a few Triple-A games and proceeded to turn out one of his finest seasons.
The downturn this March has come in the form of two hits in 30 at-bats (with two walks). Ortiz hasn’t hit above .250 in spring training since 2006.
“I’m not concerned with what David has done through 30 at-bats,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell prior to his team’s game with the Yankees at JetBlue Park Thursday night. “You watch the BP, the bat speed is clearly there. The power is there. He’s seeing pitches. He’s going to get more everyday at-bats. He’s in there tonight, obviously. He’ll get more everyday at-bats starting on Sunday through the remainder of camp. I have no concern with David.
“I’ve had multiple conversations with David. If there was a need for more at-bats, or wanting to do things a little bit differently. He’s had spring trainings that are so drastically different. When you look at the last two years, what he went through last year when there were no at-bats. I think he got 10-15 at-bats in Triple-A and had one of the better years of his career. He’s getting in shape. He’s seeing pitches on a regular basis. Personally, I think he’ll be fine once we get through the end of next week.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins