Francisco Cordero mulling possibility of minor league assignment with Red Sox
|03.28.14 at 10:35 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Right-hander Francisco Cordero, who signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox after sitting out the 2013 season, said that he is currently considering the Red Sox‘ offer of a bullpen spot in Triple-A Pawtucket after being informed that he will not make the big league team out of spring training. The 38-year-old threw eight scoreless innings in camp, allowing five hits while striking out eight and walking one. Cordero said that he’s trying to connect with his agent, Fernando Cuza, to decide whether to accept the Sox’ offer or whether other major league opportunities might exist for him.
“I’m just waiting. They told me that if I wanted to, there’s a spot open in Triple-A if I want to go. Like I said, I told them I’ve got to think about it,” said Cordero. “I’ll talk to my agent. Once I talk to my agent, we’ll talk and get on the same page and we’ll decide what we’re going to do. I’ve just got to wait until he calls me and we talk.”
Though he did not make the team, Cordero expressed satisfaction with his decision to pursue another shot at the big leagues. The 14-year big league veteran, who has 329 career saves, said that he has been pleased with how he’s thrown after using his time away from the game to shed considerable weight — something meant to permit him to be healthy both for a shot at pitching but also to enjoy life once he does walk away from the game.
“You want to be healthy. You want to be able to enjoy life when you finish. You have a good career, you make good money, you want to be able to enjoy life with your family, kids and grandkids and you can talk about what you did. What I did [to get healthy], I did it because I wanted to come back and I did it for my health,” said Cordero. “Unfortunately, things didn’t go the way I was expecting or the way I wanted them to go. I didn’t make the team here, but like I said, I’m pretty happy and I really appreciate Boston for giving me the opportunity to come back in spring training and do what I love,” said Cordero. “I showed myself that I can still pitch and still get people out. I’m pretty happy with what I did after being off for a year without pitching last year, to come back in spring training and pitch the way I pitched, throwing strikes and getting people out, I’m happy with what I did. It was real tight here, tight being in this spot here and they have a good bullpen setup.
“[But] I think I showed some teams that I can still get people out, that I’ve got my pitches working and that I’m healthy. I’m in better shape than I was back in 2012. It was good for me to come here, work and show people that I can still get people out. Now we’ll maybe just see what’s going on after this. We’ll see what’s going on, what happens.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen