Shane Victorino will have MRI after hamstring injury
|03.29.14 at 5:57 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Shane Victorino’s right hamstring has allowed for some uncertainty heading into Monday’s Opening Day.
The Sox’ outfielder was forced to leave the Red Sox‘ final spring training game, Saturday against the Twins, due to a sore leg. The hamstring ailment is something he was forced to deal with during the 2013 season, although Victorino consistently throughout his time in Florida the issue hadn’t resurfaced.
“In Shane’s second at-bat, rounding first base, he felt his right hamstring grab him,” Farrell told reporters. “Until we have further information after an MRI, we’ll have an announcement at that point.”
Victorino will have the MRI performed in Boston before meeting the Red Sox in Baltimore. His only comments to reporters upon leaving the clubhouse were, “I’ll be fine. I’ll be ready to go.”
If the right fielder does need to go on the 15-day disabled list, Jackie Bradley Jr. would likely get the call to replace him on the 25-man roster.
“He’s on call, certainly,” Farrell said of Bradley Jr., citing the need to wait for the results of Victorino’s exam.
Victorino has dealt with a variety of injuries throughout camp, playing in just nine Grapefruit League games. He first was sidelined with a lingering back issue, and then was briefly forced from the lineup due to some discomfort in his surgically-repaired right thumb. He also was dealing with a calf injury recently, which didn’t appear serious.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem