Jonny Gomes on setting tone in opener: ‘We know the tone’
|03.31.14 at 2:38 am ET|
BALTIMORE — With the Red Sox opening their 2014 regular season Monday, Jonny Gomes was asked to reflect back on the importance of the team’s previous Opening Day.
Coming off a disastrous 69-win season in 2012, the game meant more than just one of 162. According to Gomes, it was a feeling that paved the way for the team’s confidence heading into Monday.
“I think this year is a smidge different,” the outfielder said. “Last year we wanted to set the tone, and we do want to set the tone again but we know what the tone sounds like. We know the tone.
“I think it’s a positive we have a smidge of a head-start than we did last year. It’s not as much setting the tone as continuing the tone that was set.”
Jon Lester pitched a solid five innings, the top of the Red Sox order (Jacoby Ellsbury, Shane Victorino and Dustin Pedroia) combined for seven hits, the bullpen combined for four innings of one-hit ball, and Gomes helped supply an aggressiveness on the basepaths, scoring from second on an infield hit.
Next thing they knew, they had won 20 of their first 28 games.
“Jonny Gomes scoring from second base was an extension of what we worked on a lot in spring training, and that’s how important baserunning is to us,” Farrell said. “If there are situations that start [Monday] and call for that, I’m hopeful and confident that we’ll respond as we’ve drilled daily in spring training.”
“It’s what we needed. But we just got thrown right to the wolves. Red Sox-Yankees rivalry, at their place, not ours, CC [Sabathia], the best of the best, and we fired on all aspects of the game,” Gomes said. “We pitched, we ran and we played defense. We set the bar high, so we wanted to continue that. We didn’t want to look back and say, ‘We wish we would play like we did Opening Day.’ I think the main thing is just tempo and energy. It’s just carrying over from last year.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando