David Ortiz says selfie was not part of promotional ploy
|04.02.14 at 5:52 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — David Ortiz said it wasn’t planned.
The Red Sox designated hitter said the “selfie” he took with President Barack Obama — which has gotten almost 40,000 retweets — was not part of any promotional plan.
“It was right at the moment when I gave him the jersey and he asked to take a picture now or whatever, so I said, ‘Oh, wait a minute, let’s see if I can get away with one.’ I was lucky that I did,” Ortiz said. “It was fun. I think it was something I’m never going to forget. People went crazy about that. You don’t get to see that every day. It wasn’t promotional or anything like that. Who knows you’re going to be able to take a picture with the President, a selfie? How many people can guarantee that? It’s something you don’t even have to talk about.”
There was some talk that Ortiz had struck a deal with Samsung, the company that makes the phone he took the photo with, to take the shot. But the DH insisted that while he does have a business relationship with the company, the moment wasn’t orchestrated.
“I did take a lot of pictures at the White House, but it wasn’t like anything on purpose,” he said. “I went around just like everyone and took pictures. I signed a deal with Samsung a couple of months ago and they supply me with phones and all that stuff. The photo with the President was … once-in-a-lifetime moment. How did I know he would let me take a picture with him?’ ”
And about the day and meeting the president?
“We were talking about it afterward. I think it was super cool the way everybody at the White House was, how friendly,” Ortiz said. “The person we see on TV, the person we all know, to see how humble and how cool he was, was a great experience. It gets no better.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.