David Ortiz says selfie was not part of promotional ploy
|04.02.14 at 5:52 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — David Ortiz said it wasn’t planned.
The Red Sox designated hitter said the “selfie” he took with President Barack Obama — which has gotten almost 40,000 retweets — was not part of any promotional plan.
“It was right at the moment when I gave him the jersey and he asked to take a picture now or whatever, so I said, ‘Oh, wait a minute, let’s see if I can get away with one.’ I was lucky that I did,” Ortiz said. “It was fun. I think it was something I’m never going to forget. People went crazy about that. You don’t get to see that every day. It wasn’t promotional or anything like that. Who knows you’re going to be able to take a picture with the President, a selfie? How many people can guarantee that? It’s something you don’t even have to talk about.”
There was some talk that Ortiz had struck a deal with Samsung, the company that makes the phone he took the photo with, to take the shot. But the DH insisted that while he does have a business relationship with the company, the moment wasn’t orchestrated.
“I did take a lot of pictures at the White House, but it wasn’t like anything on purpose,” he said. “I went around just like everyone and took pictures. I signed a deal with Samsung a couple of months ago and they supply me with phones and all that stuff. The photo with the President was … once-in-a-lifetime moment. How did I know he would let me take a picture with him?’ ”
And about the day and meeting the president?
“We were talking about it afterward. I think it was super cool the way everybody at the White House was, how friendly,” Ortiz said. “The person we see on TV, the person we all know, to see how humble and how cool he was, was a great experience. It gets no better.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory