David Ortiz says selfie was not part of promotional ploy
|04.02.14 at 5:52 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — David Ortiz said it wasn’t planned.
The Red Sox designated hitter said the “selfie” he took with President Barack Obama — which has gotten almost 40,000 retweets — was not part of any promotional plan.
“It was right at the moment when I gave him the jersey and he asked to take a picture now or whatever, so I said, ‘Oh, wait a minute, let’s see if I can get away with one.’ I was lucky that I did,” Ortiz said. “It was fun. I think it was something I’m never going to forget. People went crazy about that. You don’t get to see that every day. It wasn’t promotional or anything like that. Who knows you’re going to be able to take a picture with the President, a selfie? How many people can guarantee that? It’s something you don’t even have to talk about.”
There was some talk that Ortiz had struck a deal with Samsung, the company that makes the phone he took the photo with, to take the shot. But the DH insisted that while he does have a business relationship with the company, the moment wasn’t orchestrated.
“I did take a lot of pictures at the White House, but it wasn’t like anything on purpose,” he said. “I went around just like everyone and took pictures. I signed a deal with Samsung a couple of months ago and they supply me with phones and all that stuff. The photo with the President was … once-in-a-lifetime moment. How did I know he would let me take a picture with him?’ ”
And about the day and meeting the president?
“We were talking about it afterward. I think it was super cool the way everybody at the White House was, how friendly,” Ortiz said. “The person we see on TV, the person we all know, to see how humble and how cool he was, was a great experience. It gets no better.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies