Mike Napoli wants to clarify that we have not been saying his name incorrectly
|04.02.14 at 4:14 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Mike Napoli was not offended, but he did want to clear things up.
“To clarify, it’s pronounced ‘NAApoli,’ not ‘NapOHli.’ But I chuckled about it,” he said.
What the first baseman was referencing was President Barack Obama‘s mispronunciation of his last name while delivering Tuesday’s speech at the White House.
“I was like, ‘Oh, damn!’ in my head,” Napoli said of the moment. “Then I heard some of the boys chuckle a little bit and have some body movement.”
While the president’s recognition made the headlines — resulting in a flood of text messages to the infielder — Napoli said there was so much more to take away the day.
“It was cool,” Napoli said. “When you’re with the President of the United States, standing behind him, and he’s talking to people about our season and what happened last year. It was cool. It was cool to be inside the White House and see all the security and everything you have to do to get in.
“I think I liked going to Walter Reed [Army Medical Center] better. It interested me. All those people … got to see a couple of patients and we tried to brighten their day a little bit. It was a long day, but it was cool to go to Walter Reed. That was probably the best part of my day.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday