Mike Napoli wants to clarify that we have not been saying his name incorrectly
|04.02.14 at 4:14 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Mike Napoli was not offended, but he did want to clear things up.
“To clarify, it’s pronounced ‘NAApoli,’ not ‘NapOHli.’ But I chuckled about it,” he said.
What the first baseman was referencing was President Barack Obama‘s mispronunciation of his last name while delivering Tuesday’s speech at the White House.
“I was like, ‘Oh, damn!’ in my head,” Napoli said of the moment. “Then I heard some of the boys chuckle a little bit and have some body movement.”
While the president’s recognition made the headlines — resulting in a flood of text messages to the infielder — Napoli said there was so much more to take away the day.
“It was cool,” Napoli said. “When you’re with the President of the United States, standing behind him, and he’s talking to people about our season and what happened last year. It was cool. It was cool to be inside the White House and see all the security and everything you have to do to get in.
“I think I liked going to Walter Reed [Army Medical Center] better. It interested me. All those people … got to see a couple of patients and we tried to brighten their day a little bit. It was a long day, but it was cool to go to Walter Reed. That was probably the best part of my day.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals