Wednesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: John Lackey vs. Ubaldo Jimenez
|04.02.14 at 8:18 am ET|
Lackey heads into his first start of the season in a vastly different light from last year. Instead of taking the mound for the first time in a year after going under the knife for Tommy John surgery, Lackey will get the nod with his last start having come the day the Red Sox clinched their World Series title. During that late-October start, Lackey gave up just one run on nine hits over 6 2/3 innings en route to Boston’s 6-1 championship win.
“I just feel healthy, more than anything,” Lackey said. “There was more confidence not having to worry about how I felt physically. I just had to worry about executing pitches.
“For the most part last year I felt good. It was something [where] I didn’t have to deal with a whole lot of extra treatment and get into a normal routine and perform. I don’t know if you ever figure everything out, totally. You’re always still learning. But I feel I’m in a good place physically, and when I’m healthy I feel like I know how to pitch.”
The 35-year-old righty heads into Wednesday’s game after one of the worst spring trainings of his career as he gave up 13 earned runs over 18 2/3 innings for a 6.27 ERA and 1.45 WHIP. After giving up five earned runs in back-to-back appearances this spring, though, Lackey finished out March by blanking the Twins for 6 1/3 innings.
The last time Lackey faced off against the Orioles was on Sept. 19, 2013, when he hurled a complete game. The veteran pitcher gave up just one run — a solo home run by Adam Jones — on two hits while fanning eight batters during the start. Lackey, overall, carries a 13-5 record with a 3.35 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP against Baltimore.
Unlike Lackey, who is in his fifth season with Boston, Jimenez is making his first start with his current team after he signed as a free agent with Baltimore in February. The 30-year-old Jimenez spent the previous three seasons with the Indians.
In his first spring with the Orioles, Jimenez put together a 5.28 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP in 15 1/3 innings over four starts. Jimenez has not faced off against the Red Sox since April 16, 2013, when Boston defeated the Indians 7-2 the day after the Boston Marathon attacks. Jimenez lasted just 1 2/3 innings as he gave up seven runs on two hits and five walks. Over the course of his career, Jimenez has started just four games against the Red Sox and has accumulated a 1-2 record with an 11.72 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Ubaldo Jimenez (RHP)
A.J. Pierzynski (17 plate appearances): .235 AVG/ .235 OBP/ .529 SLG, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (14): .417/.500/.917, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (11): .500/.545/.600, 1 double, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (10): .429/.600/.429, 3 walks
Will Middlebrooks (7): .333/.429/.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (7): .500/.571/1.000, 3 doubles, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk. 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (4): .750/.750/1.750, 1 double, 1 HR, 1 RBI
David Ross (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Orioles vs. John Lackey (RHP)
Nick Markakis (60): .333/.400/.444, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBIs, 5 walks, 11 strikeouts
Adam Jones (44): .238/.250/.500, 1 triple, 3 HR, 6 RBIs, 1 walk, 11 strikeouts
Chris Davis (32): .367/.406/.667, 3 doubles, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (31): .241/.290/.276, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 11 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (30): .167/.167/.167, 2 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (21): .167/.286/.167, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Manny Machado (15): .400/.400/.867, 1 double, 2 HR, 4 RBIs
Nolan Reimold (11): .200/.182/.200, 3 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
David Lough (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Ryan Flaherty has one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Lackey.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins