Thursday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Wei-Yin Chen
|04.03.14 at 11:33 am ET|
Doubront, who is heading into his fifth season in a Red Sox uniform, comes into the start after a challenging spring. The 26-year-old lefty was touched up for seven and eight runs by the Yankees and Rays, respectively, in back-to-back starts. Doubront finished out March, however, with five scoreless innings against the Twins, giving him a 1-2 record with a 7.11 ERA and an 1.95 WHIP for the month.
Despite the difficult spring, Doubront is gearing up for a breakout season after one of the best years of his career in 2013. Doubront picked up his second consecutive 11-win season last year and managed a 4.32 ERA — the best of his time as a consistent starter. After a bumpy month of May when his ERA and WHIP escalated to 6.23 and 1.88, Doubront became one of the most reliable pitchers in Boston’s rotation as he went 4-3 with a sub-3.00 ERA in 11 starts during June and July.
“This is a big year for me,” Doubront said, (via MLB.com). “I know that, and I went into the offseason thinking that I have to be strong mentally and physically and try to be healthy the whole year. You never know what’s going to happen, but you have to be prepared.”
Doubront last faced off against the Orioles on Sept. 29, 2013, when he came in to relieve Allen Webster in what was ultimately a 7-6 Sox loss. The southpaw struggled severely in the stint, as he gave up five earned runs on five hits in 1 1/3 innings. Overall, Doubront has a 1-2 record with a 4.54 ERA in nine appearances against the Orioles.
Chen, who is starting his third season with Baltimore, will head into Thursday’s tilt after struggling in his final outing of spring training. The 28-year-old gave up six runs on 10 hits, including two home runs, during 3 2/3 innings on the mound against the Rays on March 19, capping off a spring in which he went 1-1 with a 6.39 ERA and 1.66 WHIP.
The last time Chen stepped onto the mound against Boston was during the Orioles’ 6-5 victory on Sept. 28, 2013. Chen picked up the win after he gave up three earned runs on nine hits and compiled five strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings. The lefty has a 2-2 record with a 5.08 ERA against the Red Sox in seven career starts.
Red Sox vs. Chen (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (21 plate appearances): .579 AVG/.619 OPB/ .895 SLG, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (16): .214/.313/.429, 1 HR ,1 RBI. 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (16): .375/.375/.438, 1 double. 4 strikeouts
David Ortiz (12): .200/.250/.500, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 walk. 3 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (12): .250/.250/.417, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs. 4 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (11): .300/.364/1.000, 1 double, 2 HRs, 2 RBIs. 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ross (10): .300/.300/.400, 1 double. 2 RBIs. 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (9): .625/.667/1.000, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Orioles vs. Doubront (LHP)
Adam Jones (18): .118/.167/.118, 8 strikeouts
Chris Davis (17): .400/.471/.667, 1 double, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (17): .200/.294/.267, 1 double. 2 RBIs. 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (17): .063/.118/.063, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (11): .400/.455/.400, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (8): .500/.625/.667, 1 double. 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Steve Pearce (7): .000/.571/.000, 3 walks
Ryan Flaherty (4): .500/.500/.750, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Delmon Young (2): .500/.500/2.000, 1 HR. 1 RBI
Steve Clevenger and Jonathan Schoop each have one hit in one plate appearance vs. Doubront.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen