Thursday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Wei-Yin Chen
|04.03.14 at 11:33 am ET|
Doubront, who is heading into his fifth season in a Red Sox uniform, comes into the start after a challenging spring. The 26-year-old lefty was touched up for seven and eight runs by the Yankees and Rays, respectively, in back-to-back starts. Doubront finished out March, however, with five scoreless innings against the Twins, giving him a 1-2 record with a 7.11 ERA and an 1.95 WHIP for the month.
Despite the difficult spring, Doubront is gearing up for a breakout season after one of the best years of his career in 2013. Doubront picked up his second consecutive 11-win season last year and managed a 4.32 ERA — the best of his time as a consistent starter. After a bumpy month of May when his ERA and WHIP escalated to 6.23 and 1.88, Doubront became one of the most reliable pitchers in Boston’s rotation as he went 4-3 with a sub-3.00 ERA in 11 starts during June and July.
“This is a big year for me,” Doubront said, (via MLB.com). “I know that, and I went into the offseason thinking that I have to be strong mentally and physically and try to be healthy the whole year. You never know what’s going to happen, but you have to be prepared.”
Doubront last faced off against the Orioles on Sept. 29, 2013, when he came in to relieve Allen Webster in what was ultimately a 7-6 Sox loss. The southpaw struggled severely in the stint, as he gave up five earned runs on five hits in 1 1/3 innings. Overall, Doubront has a 1-2 record with a 4.54 ERA in nine appearances against the Orioles.
Chen, who is starting his third season with Baltimore, will head into Thursday’s tilt after struggling in his final outing of spring training. The 28-year-old gave up six runs on 10 hits, including two home runs, during 3 2/3 innings on the mound against the Rays on March 19, capping off a spring in which he went 1-1 with a 6.39 ERA and 1.66 WHIP.
The last time Chen stepped onto the mound against Boston was during the Orioles’ 6-5 victory on Sept. 28, 2013. Chen picked up the win after he gave up three earned runs on nine hits and compiled five strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings. The lefty has a 2-2 record with a 5.08 ERA against the Red Sox in seven career starts.
Red Sox vs. Chen (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (21 plate appearances): .579 AVG/.619 OPB/ .895 SLG, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (16): .214/.313/.429, 1 HR ,1 RBI. 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (16): .375/.375/.438, 1 double. 4 strikeouts
David Ortiz (12): .200/.250/.500, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 walk. 3 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (12): .250/.250/.417, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs. 4 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (11): .300/.364/1.000, 1 double, 2 HRs, 2 RBIs. 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ross (10): .300/.300/.400, 1 double. 2 RBIs. 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (9): .625/.667/1.000, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Orioles vs. Doubront (LHP)
Adam Jones (18): .118/.167/.118, 8 strikeouts
Chris Davis (17): .400/.471/.667, 1 double, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (17): .200/.294/.267, 1 double. 2 RBIs. 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (17): .063/.118/.063, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (11): .400/.455/.400, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (8): .500/.625/.667, 1 double. 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Steve Pearce (7): .000/.571/.000, 3 walks
Ryan Flaherty (4): .500/.500/.750, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Delmon Young (2): .500/.500/2.000, 1 HR. 1 RBI
Steve Clevenger and Jonathan Schoop each have one hit in one plate appearance vs. Doubront.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016