John Henry: ‘I had no input whatsoever’ regarding Boston Globe editorial critical of Jerry Remy
|04.04.14 at 12:56 pm ET|
Red Sox owner John Henry checked in with Mut & Merloni on Friday, shortly before the start of Opening Day at Fenway Park, and touched on the Jerry Remy controversy while clarifying his relationship with The Boston Globe staff after his purchase of the newspaper last year.
Henry has voiced support for the longtime NESN Red Sox broadcaster whose son sits in jail accused of murdering his girlfriend. Remy has acknowledged enabling his son, who has a long history of domestic abuse accusations.
A week after the Globe published a lengthy, detailed story about Jared Remy‘s sordid history and his father’s attempts to protect him, the paper posted an editorial calling for Remy to delay his return to the NESN booth. This created confusion among Red Sox Nation, as it was believed that Henry would have to approve of his paper’s editorial.
Henry explained that that was not the case, insisting: “I had no input whatsoever, and I disagreed with it.”
“If it’s my paper, they’re second-guessing me,” Henry said. “As far as I’m concerned, it’s not my paper with regard to the Red Sox. They asked me if I wanted to see that article. There’s no way that I’m going to tamper with or even see in advance an article on the Red Sox. There has to be a wall there.”
Added Henry: “They have to be independent of me. If they can’t act independently, then it’s not The Boston Globe that we’ve all known over these years.”
Henry declined to reiterate his support for Remy, noting that he has done so already. However, asked if he thinks Remy will make it through the season, Henry replied: “I do.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers